Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb The YoYo Test

Interesting website seen on Robbie's twitter : (Ross Hanbury)UK

World Rugby, along with many world rugby Unions, Federations and Referee’s Societies use the ‘YOYO intermittent recovery test level 1″, to assess the fitness levels of its members across all levels.
    The YoYo test*is similar to the ‘bleep test’ requiring participants to run between two cones, each 20 metres apart. However the YoYo builds in*a 10 second rest after the return*20 metre run. Just like the bleep test, the speed at which the 2 x 20 metre runs must be completed at increases progressively too, until the participant can no longer complete the runs or choose to stop...

As you can hear (and see) the YoYo doesnt go from levels 1-22 like the bleep test. But don’t be fooled that it starts at L5.1 and jumps*straight to speed*9 and then up to 11!
    The YoYo better reflects and assess the physical demands of refereeing as it’s intermittent in nature (stop and start) which is similar to the sorts of activity you’d do refereeing a match. The test also provides you*with a quantifiable insight as to how your*fitness compares to other referees across the refereeing standards, including those at the international standard. The current (May 2017) World Rugby standard is level 18.1! *When you have your own benchmark, you can determine how much time you need to spend on extra fitness work, in line with your*refereeing aspirations.

Source: rugbyreferee(dot)net.
    Includes some video, audio and a link to download the test. Along with a selection of resources you can use to kick-start, or develop, your training as a referee.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The YoYo Test

It's certainly a heck of a test. Too many youngsters smashing out L20+ for me though.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    HRURS
    Grade
    6 - Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by winchesterref View Post
    It's certainly a heck of a test. Too many youngsters smashing out L20+ for me though.
    Now that is something I do not miss!

I think our target was 15+ and after several weeks pre season training I could achieve it.

I could run all day during a match but hated this part of refereeing.
    Last edited by Blindpugh; 11-08-17 at 12:08.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I hate the test, I am absolutely shattered by the end of it and push a hell of a lot harder than I have to in a game.

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    6+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by winchesterref View Post
    Not sure why it is a problem that we have more young, fitter referees? As long as fitness is only considered as one of many crucial requirements for refereeing I don't see how it can ever be a problem to be fitter?

Also would love to know how many 20+ efforts there have been in your region. I *think* so far this year for LSRFUR there have been a couple of 20s with a high of 20.5 for one of the Group referees.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    RFU/Yorkshire/Army/Combined Services
    Grade
    National Panel AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It should be a pass fair for certain levels if the pass is 18, you should be stopped IMO.
    Get married again??? No I am going to miss out the middle bit, Just find somebody I hate and buy them a house

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    UK
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse1986 View Post
    Not sure why it is a problem that we have more young, fitter referees? As long as fitness is only considered as one of many crucial requirements for refereeing I don't see how it can ever be a problem to be fitter?

Also would love to know how many 20+ efforts there have been in your region. I *think* so far this year for LSRFUR there have been a couple of 20s with a high of 20.5 for one of the Group referees.
    The only problem is that I'm not getting any younger.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire / Southern Federation
    Grade
    RFU Group Match Observer
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Fitness (and pace) is one of four key components for a successful referee - along with law knowledge and appropriate application; cognitive/analytics judgement and decision making; and game knowledge preventative/punitive balance & effectiveness.

Get the fitness in perspective and remember as you go past 15 it is cumulatively more and more challenging. By 18.1 you are operating at serious athlete levels of fitness, 20 + is elite.

Can you maintain physical and mental performance for 80 + minutes to meet the needs of the most challenging matches at the level you operate at or aspire to ?
    Are you early at every breakdown ?
    Do you see first offences, or better still prevent them ?
    Are you in line to see for forward passes / knock-ons ?
    Do you get to the right position (for you need to see what you need to) quickly enough ?
    Are in in goal to see groundings and correctly signal a try is awarded ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    RFU/Yorkshire/Army/Combined Services
    Grade
    National Panel AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Thomas View Post
    Fitness (and pace) is one of four key components for a successful referee - along with law knowledge and appropriate application; cognitive/analytics judgement and decision making; and game knowledge preventative/punitive balance & effectiveness.

Get the fitness in perspective and remember as you go past 15 it is cumulatively more and more challenging. By 18.1 you are operating at serious athlete levels of fitness, 20 + is elite.

Can you maintain physical and mental performance for 80 + minutes to meet the needs of the most challenging matches at the level you operate at or aspire to ?
    Are you early at every breakdown ?
    Do you see first offences, or better still prevent them ?
    Are you in line to see for forward passes / knock-ons ?
    Do you get to the right position (for you need to see what you need to) quickly enough ?
    Are in in goal to see groundings and correctly signal a try is awarded ?

Which is why game assessment, is far better than a running turning test. Yet it doesn't, far too much is placed on numbers. Just like far too much is placed on sheer age.

Its ok to reach level 18 but then not being able to talk or think is a waste of time.
    Get married again??? No I am going to miss out the middle bit, Just find somebody I hate and buy them a house

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andyscott View Post
    Its ok to reach level 18 but then not being able to talk or think is a waste of time.
    AIUI, reaching level 18 means you are very unlikely to run out of puff during a game.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Thread Information