Thread: Tuculet Yellow Card - collision with Mike Brown

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tuculet Yellow Card - collision with Mike Brown

so what do we think about that YC from Eng v Aus game ?

https://youtu.be/38IrRXbPOD0?t=1408

For me it seemed to be either
    - fair challenge, rugby incident, play on OR
    - unfair challenge, lands on his head, RC.

I find it hard to see how they arrived at YC.

thoughts?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tuculet Yellow Card - collision with Mike Brown

I though we'd stepped back from the 'he who jumps highest wins' spate of cards and penalties we had a year or so ago, and were allowing fair competition now? Which I thought that was. Both players in the air, both had hands on the ball, and both had a very realistic chance of catching the ball. Just unfortunately Mike Brown landed awkwardly, not sure there's even a penalty there. Restart scrum England purely as they took possession at the kick?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Waikato
    Grade
    Colts/lower grade seniors
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    so what do we think about that YC from Eng v Aus game ?

https://youtu.be/38IrRXbPOD0?t=1408

For me it seemed to be either
    - fair challenge, rugby incident, play on OR
    - unfair challenge, lands on his head, RC.

I find it hard to see how they arrived at YC.

thoughts?
    I think it's very harsh. In my view he was a realistic chance to catch the ball (he may well have even touched the ball first).

Since the ref stopped play to call for the TMO (fair enough in the situation imo) I would have restarted with a scrum to England under the general principle of a stop in play not explicitly described by the laws.

I don't blame the ref for his decision in this day and age, but I think it was just a rugby incident.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Look at it from this angle:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38IrRXbPOD0&t=1505

It's not just an unfortunate difference in centres of gravity: arms tangle, blue twists and drags black over and down. Most likely accidental, but I'd give RC.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My view is the same, after watching the replays I thought fair challenge, no offence. But because of the way Mike Brown landed I was bracing myself for a very unlucky RC.

Using my referee superpowers I confidently told my mate on the sofa it's either play-on or RC.. just before MW got his YC out.

From the conversation anyone else get the sense that the TMO was thinking RC, but went with the ref?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The referee said that he was "not in a realistic position to challenge for the ball". This statement is simply not supported by the facts. Not only did Tuculet get his hand on the ball (which mean he must have been in a position to have caught it) but as damo said, he could well have been first to get a hand on the ball.

I thought it was a rubbish decision, and another example of the ever deepening hole that World Rugby has dug for itself on this issue.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Switzerland

Soc/Assoc
    Swiss Rugby Federation
    Grade
    Swiss Federation
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think "getting a hand to the ball" means you are in a position to catch the ball - how many times do you see a player catch a high kick with just 1 outstretched hand?

But that said - this incident is strange. To me - either RC as foul play and Brown lands on head, or deem it fair play, so play on.

For me - it was a RC, for 1 simple reason. I same the Arg player arm latch onto Brown's arm, and then he pulls him down. I personally think he played Brown in the air, and caused the landing on the head. I think the initial contact was fine, and both players going for the ball. Absent the pull on the arm - play on.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    I don't think "getting a hand to the ball" means you are in a position to catch the ball - how many times do you see a player catch a high kick with just 1 outstretched hand?

But that said - this incident is strange. To me - either RC as foul play and Brown lands on head, or deem it fair play, so play on.

For me - it was a RC, for 1 simple reason. I same the Arg player arm latch onto Brown's arm, and then he pulls him down. I personally think he played Brown in the air, and caused the landing on the head. I think the initial contact was fine, and both players going for the ball. Absent the pull on the arm - play on.
    Well for mine, it was just a rugby incident. Two players jump for the ball, their arms get tangled up so that when one falls, the other gets dragged down with him. That is an accident IMO

Ask yourself what you would rule if Brown had missed the ball and fell into Tuculet's hands, and when he fell he dragged Brown down head first... still RC for Tuculet?

PS: I have seen plenty of occasions when a player has jumped for the ball and caught it first with one arm.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    ... I find it hard to see how they arrived at YC.
    I agree. Didn't we have a directive to say that if 2 opposing players were going for a ball and it was a "Fair contest" it was Play On?

This looked like a "fair contest" to me; the Argentinian was looking at the ball not the player and he did jump - admittedly not as high as the England player.

Personally I would have stopped the game on safety grounds, but would have restarted with a scrum to England and not a PK.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

yes, the game definitely needed to be stopped, with an unconscious (?) player in the middle of things.

I was very heartened by the immediate announcement that Brown was permanently replaced and was not undergoing an HIA. Well done England medics/coaches.

Thread Information