Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pre-match chat with captains

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    something being in place since the stone age doesn't necessarily make it right.
    No, but it does show that it is surprising so many people still do not know it.

There you have it. The toss-winning captain unfairly gets both outcomes that he wants: to receive the kick AND which end he wants.
    In rugby most people (apart from Americans, in my experience) think kicking is better than receiving. That is why the non-scoring team takes the restart kicks. Sevens reverses this because in that variation possession is more important than territory.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post

In rugby most people (apart from Americans, in my experience) think kicking is better than receiving.
    That's interesting and I'm happy to accept it.

So what we are effectively saying to the captain that loses the toss is "mate, the other skipper has chosen an end. What we could do is give you the option of kick or receive, however, experience tells us that you'd probably rather kick, so we'll make that decision for you".

Here's an analogy (I like analogies):

You have 2 children, Billy & Tilly. You say to them "children, we have 2 choices to make, each of which has 2 outcomes".

"Choice 1 is whether we go to the park on Friday or Saturday. Choice 2 is whether we play football or cricket once we are at the park".

"Now, I'm going to toss a coin. Tilly, you call heads or tails to see who gets first choice".

"Now here's where the fun starts, children. If the winner of the toss chooses that we go to the park on Friday then the other will choose whether we play football or cricket".

"BUT, if the winner of the toss really wants to play cricket, then they can choose cricket and we will automatically go to the park on Saturday".

"what do you mean 'that makes no sense'? We've been doing it this way since 1871!"
    Last edited by Dickie E; 1 Week Ago at 02:11.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Pre-match to captains is:

"Any questions?"
    Then answer any questions they have, then:
    "Alright, see you in 5 for the toss and then kick off."

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Waikato
    Grade
    Colts/lower grade seniors
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't say much to the captains outside the pre-match briefing. I make sure I know their names and what position they play and then we do the toss.

I've never had any issues with the toss like people are describing here. If a captain asks to "receive" I just ask him which way he wants to run. If a captain elects an end I just say announce that the other team is kicking off and running 'that way' pointing to the direction the other captain didn't choose. Nobody has ever questioned any of this so far as I can remember. Just take control of the situation and remove any doubts and you won't have any trouble.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

T
    "what do you mean 'that makes no sense'? We've been doing it this way since 1871!"
    *shrug*

I think we've bigger concerns to worry about.

Like how since circa 1991 (if not before) despite what the law says and what law changes are made, at the elite end referees are still blind when it comes to straight scrum put-ins, and the knock on effects that has on scrum safety and a PK fest. And that after all this time the game still can't come up with a touch law that doesn't need the computational 3D powers of Steve Austin.

didds
    Last edited by didds; 1 Week Ago at 08:11.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    *shrug*

I think we've bigger concerns to worry about.
    Sure, there's global warming, ISIS & human trafficking ... but we can walk & chew gum at the same time.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Sure, there's global warming, ISIS & human trafficking ... but we can walk & chew gum at the same time.
    SOME of us can.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post

Locally Old Patesians have a sloping pitch. If they win the toss they invariably choose to play uphill in order to have the downhill advantage in the second half.
    Which, as Michael Green tell us, is a mistake as the 2nd half is invariably much shorter than the 1st half.
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Pre-match to captains is:

"Any questions?"
    Then answer any questions they have, then:
    "Alright, see you in 5 for the toss and then kick off."
    I am confused, do you meet with the captains twice? why not do the toss there and then.

Or if the 'any questions' part is individually, one after the other, and the time that you have both captains together is, indeed, the toss, then is there any thing you say at that time, at the time where you have both captains together?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I am confused, do you meet with the captains twice? why not do the toss there and then.

Or if the 'any questions' part is individually, one after the other, and the time that you have both captains together is, indeed, the toss, then is there any thing you say at that time, at the time where you have both captains together?
    I meet them separately, then together at the toss. Nothing special at the toss, away team calls and the winner gets a choice. If they choose and end I'll confirm the others are kicking off or vice versa.

I don't understand why people spend a lot of time on this, the players know what is expected of them and know how to play the game.

Only time I will differ from my very minimal chat is in a finals game where I will explain to the captains that I will be looking to them even more than usual to lead their teams and controlling/directing their player's focus.

Thread Information