Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    7+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pre-match chat with captains

Front row: Gents at the scrum I need to see that you are square and stable through engagement process. You'll get plenty of time to get into the right position, I won't rush you, don't rush ahead of my calls please. Happy with that? Lineout, I'm marking the defensive line so front man get your players on that mark. Thanks

I then speak to captain individually.

It's really important that you manage and maintain your players' discipline. If you don't manage that discipline, I will have to, and you probably won't like the consequences*. If want to have a quick chat, do it at downtime, scrum or lineout, not a penalty. We want to give both sides the opportunity to go quick if they want it. I'll try to communicate as much as I can - if you and your players listen then we should have a good game of rugby. Any questions? Thanks

Then at the toss I reiterate the point on discipline while both captains present, and do the toss. Once toss done I confirm "Okay, so Black will be kicking in this direction to White" (which also hopefully clarifies colours I'll be using at least to captains). "Good luck, kick of is in XX minutes."

I think my overall PMB has gone from being over 5 minutes all in, to not much more than a minute. Haven't noticed any deterioration in outcomes because of that! I coud probably cut it even further!

*This is usually delivered with a smile and hopefully is not as officious as it looks when written down!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    That's interesting and I'm happy to accept it.

So what we are effectively saying to the captain that loses the toss is "mate, the other skipper has chosen an end. What we could do is give you the option of kick or receive, however, experience tells us that you'd probably rather kick, so we'll make that decision for you".
    At toss at my game last weekend winning skipper chose an end. Loser chose to receive. I told him he couldn't and that he had to kick off - he looked perplexed. I smiled and gave him OB..'s address.

On side note I found my Australian 50p which I had mislaid and used that (again) - it weighs a ton(ne)!
    Last edited by Lee Lifeson-Peart; 1 Week Ago at 16:12.
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I muck about frequently with my briefing, frequently everyone, sometimes just front row andc captains. Usually talk about discipline, sometimes specific laws that are on my mind.

But its been said, they all listen and nod their heads, then ignore you so I then question what is the point? Frequently comes down to giving a reference when you penalise quickly. You can say you highlighted this, you've ignored me, hence the penalty (before A, T, P).

I'll keep amending depending on my mood.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As a coach there is one thing that I really like to see in a referee: setting a collaborative tone with the captains instead of a combative one.

. . . and a short, to the point PMB that fits into our warm up sequence.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    As a coach there is one thing that I really like to see in a referee: setting a collaborative tone with the captains instead of a combative one.

. . . and a short, to the point PMB that fits into our warm up sequence.
    One of my first question to the Coach: when do you want me to do boots and talk?
    It's THEIR time, not mine
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

"Coach - is now a good time for your team?

Capt - do you have any questions for me or want me to be aware of anything? (9/10 nothing - occasionally "we have this move..." ''can you watch xx?"..I give 10sec answer))

Ok - can you please look after discipline. We don't need 30 other refs out there.
    If you need to speak to me do so when the ball is dead please, not at a penalty. But we're not debating. Ok?
    I assume you want quick ball - so lets afford the other side the same. Tacklers out of there quickly - out the sides not rolling over the opposition side.
    If you have a good jacklar then make sure clear release and hard on the ball - not past the ball. If he remains in a strong position and survive the cleanout he can be rewarded. [still confusion here about tackle assist !]
    Get your 10 to set the offside lines at scrum and lineout please.

Can I speak with front row and 9 please? (usually Capt stays and listens but I don't mind if he wanders off)

Gents. Long binds please. Square and steady at each stage please. Give me a gap between shoulders on 'bind'. The competition and pushing only starts when the ball is in.
    Push straight. If you want to turn the scrum - two clear steps downfield from the whole FR first.

Yes you can speak to me about the scrums - but please keep it respectful.

9 - give me a credible feed please. You're not playing league today - so something down the middle. Don't take the p!ss.

Any questions? (usually none)
    Enjoy your game - kick off in xx mins. I'll give you a reminder 5m before"

Usually takes about 1 mins each audience.

I find covering this makes offside, ruck and scrum PKs easier to sell. They've been told my standards.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees/Trains Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    I assume you want quick ball - so lets afford the other side the same. Tacklers out of there quickly - out the sides not rolling over the opposition side.
    If you have a good jacklar then make sure clear release and hard on the ball - not past the ball. If he remains in a strong position and survive the cleanout he can be rewarded. [still confusion here about tackle assist !]
    Get your 10 to set the offside lines at scrum and lineout please.
    How much of this do you think the Captain passes on to the whole team?

Follow my blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Dont really care to be honest.

I guess you can say that with every pre match chat? Even yours?

Usually the capt is the one asking to explain the PK (or getting the YC warning) so I can refer him to our pre match.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information