Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Matt Carley

I'll probably end up swearing at him as I try to blame anyone other than the team for the ritual spanking, but his first penalty?

Scotland kick ahead. Chaser gets nudged out the way by NZ moving lane. Scotland player goes to ground so he doesn't hit the jumping receiver. PK to Scotland.

I wish more referees did that.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Matt Carley

I thought that was an assured performance on his biggest game to date.
    Similarly Ben O Keefe in the England game. Exciting to see next generation of refs coming through.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I thought that was an assured performance on his biggest game to date.
    Similarly Ben O Keefe in the England game. Exciting to see next generation of refs coming through.
    Thought BO had a good one, totally outclassed the reffing performance of SB from the commentary box. He's not just seasoned but well past his sell by date IMO!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Club
    Grade
    interested bystander
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    try to blame anyone other than the team for the ritual spanking,
    i bet you've rarely been happier to eat your words!

so, so close. wasn't a gimme at the end, but had the offload gone to hand...

just a shame that it was Hogg that lost it forward, apart from that he had a brilliant game.
    Hi. I'm Barry Scott.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Only watched the highlights but agree that both Matt Carley and Ben O'Keefe had assured performances.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I couldnt beleive scotland took scrum penalty 5 meters from nz try line , even with 7 man nz scrum .
    They were never going to go any where than scrum half passing ball from scrum ..they should of tapped & gone ..thought scots put on a good show over all . Hogg is at his prime

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Generally agree, a good game BUT Black 14 surely should have gone for tackling / colliding with White 15 while in the air.
    Also dismayed at the typical gracelessness that the ABs displayed, e.g. timewasting near the end of the game, a player about to be substituted attempted to use time by kneeling to tie his bootlace. Credit to the ref who stopped the clock and spoke to him.
    If you are the best team in the world surely you want to demonstrate it by playing a beautiful game - sorry, I know it's a familiar tune.
    (While only 1/16th Scottish - less than most Kiwis probably - I confess to watching through slightly thistle-coloured glasses.)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Also, if I am not wrong, at a lineout Carley gave a FK for time wasting didn't he ? You don't see that very often

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

On balance I thought he had an assured performance, and he didn't affect the outcome in reality. if I were to complain:

1. Black 14 should have gone. The TMO walked him back from his original decision, which I thought was right on balance.
    2. He can get pedantic. A number of penalties (against both sides) that left me wondering if that was really necessary and did it affect play? Peter Horne's was one example - that was a PK that didn't need to be given.
    3. He's erratic at the breakdown. AN absolute SOB about getting everyone to release - but when the tackle assist arrived, there were a lot of times the hands went beyond the ball and came back in a scooper motion. Barnes and Doyle are SOBs on that kind of thing, and I was disappointed that he wasn't.
    4. When the NZ tackler - and I'm looking meaningfully at Black 9 - made a tackle, if he got to his feet to come back to the gate, he made a point fo finding the long way round and coming over the ball. Someone in white should have just nailed him and made a point of it. Given what Carley WAS penalizing (see 3), the fact that he let that go was bemusing.

I don't know if we saw a good Scottish performance (and given what has happened with injuries, I think we did) or an NZ team in decline. I expected us to ship 20+, and we were a knock on away from a tie.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Waikato
    Grade
    Colts/lower grade seniors
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

NZ team is definitely in decline. They've been unquestionably no. 1 for 7 years and are finally coming back to the pack. This isn't a bad thing really.

I thought the ref was good for the most part. He was a little pedantic at times, but no complaints for any of the big calls IMO from either team.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Thread Information