Thread: Eng vs Aus - Disallowed Hooper try

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Eng vs Aus - Disallowed Hooper try

Donít have a clip, but plenty discussing this. Clearly in front of the kicker and didnít come close to stopping his run forward so liable to sanction, and correct decision for me

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Eng vs Aus - Disallowed Hooper try

Agreed - the subsequent sub-phase - a second Gold player kicked the ball - did not negate the fact that Hooper would not have been in a position to score had he retired when in front of the initial kicker.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Waikato
    Grade
    Colts/lower grade seniors
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I just caught a replay of the incident and it looks pretty clear to me. Not sure what the fuss could be about.

In the replays that I saw, all the controversial calls seem to have been correct.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by timmad View Post
    Agreed - the subsequent sub-phase - a second Gold player kicked the ball - did not negate the fact that Hooper would not have been in a position to score had he retired when in front of the initial kicker.
    Just a technicality but a player in front of the kicker in that kind of situation does not have to actively retire, i.e. go back to where the ball was kicked from. All he has to do is stop until the player who kicked it, or another onside team-mate overtakes him - Law 11.2 (c). e.g. at a scrum or ruck, if the SH kicks the ball over the scrum/ruck, all those players are ahead of the kick, but are put onside when the kicker or onside kick-chasers overtake them.
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 19-11-17 at 08:11.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

How many times have you PK a fat prop whose taken 2 extra steps when you said stop only for them to be run onside immediately?? None I bet. Why? Because they had no material affect while offside. I bet Okeefes never done that either.

I now look forward to seeing many more test players being PK'd for offside for the 2 momentum steps before being run onside by an onside player. *end sarcasm.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    9+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Just a technicality but a player in front of the kicker in that kind of situation does not have to actively retire, i.e. go back to where the ball was kicked from. All he has to do is stop until the player who kicked it, or another onside team-mate overtakes him - Law 11.2 (c). e.g. at a scrum or ruck, if the SH kicks the ball over the scrum/ruck, all those players are ahead of the kick, but are put onside when the kicker or onside kick-chasers overtake them.
    Agreed. Except he may have to retire if you judge the 10m law applies. ( which I think did in this case )

Law Reference :
    11.5 Being put onside under the 10-metre law
    (a) The offside player must retire behind the imaginary 10-metre line across the field, otherwise the player is liable to be penalised.

So only "stopping" may not be good enough. But, yes, your point about kicker putting his teammates onside is valid for both cases. And , yes, the offside player doesnt have to retire to where the ball was kicked from - just to that imaginary 10m line.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    How many times have you PK a fat prop whose taken 2 extra steps when you said stop only for them to be run onside immediately?? None I bet. Why? Because they had no material affect while offside. I bet Okeefes never done that either.

I now look forward to seeing many more test players being PK'd for offside for the 2 momentum steps before being run onside by an onside player. *end sarcasm.
    Hooper was brilliant all game, often taking the shortcut route to the action, crikey I wish he was our no#7 !

- However however, if you're benefitting from taking the shortcut route to the next breakdown then the downside is that if your teammate isn't on message and kicks the ball instead then your gamble fails.
    It's the offset risk, of such running lines

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Manchester & District
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

All the best wing forwards I've known were 'born offside' - great unless (like me) you're a fly half!

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    Agreed. Except he may have to retire if you judge the 10m law applies. ( which I think did in this case )

Law Reference :
    11.5 Being put onside under the 10-metre law
    (a) The offside player must retire behind the imaginary 10-metre line across the field, otherwise the player is liable to be penalised.

So only "stopping" may not be good enough. But, yes, your point about kicker putting his teammates onside is valid for both cases. And , yes, the offside player doesnt have to retire to where the ball was kicked from - just to that imaginary 10m line.

I don't believe this was a 10M law situation.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    9+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    I don't believe this was a 10M law situation.
    Thanks Ian. Could you perhaps elaborate on why it wasnt ?
    I kind of agree that it would be a hard-sell but , according to law wording, it looks like it satisfies the criteria for offside under the 10m law.
    The ball appears to have been kicked ahead and lands about 1-2 m ahead Hooper.

Yours,

Devils Advocate :-)

Thread Information