Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    9+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: IRL-ARG: Playing on the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Flanker View Post
    For me, the first offence is Green 2 not releasing the tackled player!
    I was just about to post the same thing ! Although I only saw the GIF version so am just assuming that green was the tackler.
    I would normally expect to see "separation" before he goes back for the ball. I didnt see any there. Penalty to black.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Central
    Grade
    Elite Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    But the whole team of 4 missing it?
    Rich there is a clear call from AR1 that the referee chooses to ignore. I can't see how the TMO can intervene so comment about TO4 is misplaced ?

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    OMG, there are about three different penalties there by Black.
    Not releasing to a man on his feet.
    Playing the ball on the floor.
    Getting to his feet without releasing.
    Offside, as the ruck went passed him.

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Rich there is a clear call from AR1 that the referee chooses to ignore. I can't see how the TMO can intervene so comment about TO4 is misplaced ?
    Ah, right, I missed that. I hereby unreservedly retract my criticism of the team of 4!

As to the TMO: as I understood it the TMO can recommend a review to the referee, in order to report things the latter may have missed. Is that not the case? Or is it only where scoring is concerned? For example, Hooper's offside in ENG-AUS and the All Blacks' offside in FRA-NZL - these were both highlighted by the TMO, weren't they?

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure I have heard the TMO call "check, check" during play to alert the referee to the fact that at the next stoppage he would suggest an incident to review.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    As to the TMO: as I understood it the TMO can recommend a review to the referee, in order to report things the latter may have missed. Is that not the case? Or is it only where scoring is concerned?
    Rather than be lazy, I checked the laws.

6.A.7.b
    A match organiser may appoint an official known as a Television Match Official (TMO) who uses technological devices to clarify situations relating to;

1 When there is doubt as to whether a ball has been grounded in in-goal for a score or a touchdown.

2 Where there is doubt as to whether a kick at goal has been successful.

3 Where there is doubt as to whether players were in touch or touch in goal before grounding the ball in in-goal or the ball has been made dead.

4 Where match officials believe an offence or infringement may have occurred in the field of play leading to a try or preventing a try.

5 Reviewing situations where match officials believe foul play may have occurred.

6 Clarifying sanctions required for acts of foul play.

So as I now understand it, if there is a score made or prevented, or an act of foul play, that the TMO (a match official) believes the referee has missed, they can recommend a review. In which case it's also possible for the TMO to do so outside of a scoring opportunity if they believe there's been an intentional offence? I'm not saying this ought to have been done in this case, as I'm sure there's a whole layer of agreements and protocols as to the practical application about which I know nothing, but it seems a path available to intervene.

And where in this case I'd be inclined to award the PT/YC (dependent on the Green not releasing call), I'd be interested to learn why this wouldn't be done under point 4 above.

Last edited by Rich_NL; 29-11-17 at 11:11.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Arrow Re: IRL-ARG: Playing on the ground

I think the TMO did okay overall. Yes he missed that blatantly obvious steal at 77 minutes of play, but overall his communication with the match referee was good.

38 minutes of play
    The referee goes to the TMO to check a no-arms tackle on O’Brien but there’s nothing in it. Both hands were used.

55 minutes Try awarded after long chat with TMO
    The ref is checking if Tuculet was ahead of the play before Sanchez kicked through.
    TMO mentions Furlong could have been in trouble for a tackle but it looked fine.

63 minutes After progress with the maul, Stander powers over for Ireland and a bit of a skirmish ensues afterwards. It wouldn’t be Ireland versus Argentina without one.
    After this Ireland try was awarded (and handbags had subsided) the Argentine captain speaks to the referee, about some percieved infringement. Appearantly the TMO watches a delayed feed of the match, so as the Argentine captain speaks to the referee the TMO says, "am just watching it, nothing in it." Agustin Creevy was told sharply, the TMO would flag any infringement that was clear and obvious. Since the TMO had not flagged it the referee was not going to spend any time reviewing it. "It's a rugby match" he says "these things happen" (*Approximation/Aproximación of what was said.)

Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)
    Assistant referees: Marius Mitrea (Italy), Mike Adamson (Scotland)
    TMO: David Grashoff (England)
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Thread Information