Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Faking the lineout jump

Attachment 3651

One of my real bugbears at the lineout. The player takes the small jump forwards & towards the LOT, but not across it, the opposition number falls for it and follows the 17 who is legitimately changing his position (see it in the eyes) and the ball is then taken at the front with everyone else looking the wrong way.

If I see it I am going to penalise it everytime. While not trying to draw an infringement from the opposition, I see this as faking the jump and needs to be stamped out. It is certainly unsportsmanlike in my eyes. Too harsh?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Faking the lineout jump

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    Attachment 3651

One of my real bugbears at the lineout. The player takes the small jump forwards & towards the LOT, but not across it, the opposition number falls for it and follows the 17 who is legitimately changing his position (see it in the eyes) and the ball is then taken at the front with everyone else looking the wrong way.

If I see it I am going to penalise it everytime. While not trying to draw an infringement from the opposition, I see this as faking the jump and needs to be stamped out. It is certainly unsportsmanlike in my eyes. Too harsh?
    Too harsh? Tell me, do you PK players who dummy pass in open play?

You are PKing something that isn't an infringement. If you are thinking 19.10 (f), that's a FK anyway not a PK, but I don't think that applies here. The player is not trying to draw the opponent into an infringement, he's trying to distract the opposition from where the ball is going to be thrown, and succeeded... good on him and well done IMO.

Rugby Union would be a pretty staid and boring game if deception was an infringement (and I guess there are some people who would prefer it that way). I know there are times when it is an infringement (SH dummying at the Ruck, Maul & Scrum, and thrower dummying at the lineout) but they are specifically because they are intended to draw the opposition into offside or another infringement.

PS: your attachment was working, and now its not. Try re-attaching or hotlinking from a source using the [IMG] BBCode
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 1 Week Ago at 20:12.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The OP approach would mean a half step non jump at #7 in the lineout would be penalised if the ball was thrown to #2.

Nahhh

didds

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe penalise an early lift , if it had material impact .
    But if player has stayed his side of line of touch .
    He can jump from his own making ( as in not been lifted ) like a jack in box if he wants ..

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Another one of these again?

"This act doesn't within my moral worldview of what should happen in a match, so I shall penalize it"

It isn't an offence. Don't do it. Please. It' isn't right, and you're also setting next week's ref up for a problem when he correctly applies the law.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Too harsh? Tell me, do you PK players who dummy pass in open play?

You are PKing something that isn't an infringement. If you are thinking 19.10 (f), that's a FK anyway not a PK, but I don't think that applies here. The player is not trying to draw the opponent into an infringement, he's trying to distract the opposition from where the ball is going to be thrown, and succeeded... good on him and well done IMO.

Rugby Union would be a pretty staid and boring game if deception was an infringement (and I guess there are some people who would prefer it that way). I know there are times when it is an infringement (SH dummying at the Ruck, Maul & Scrum, and thrower dummying at the lineout) but they are specifically because they are intended to draw the opposition into offside or another infringement.

PS: your attachment was working, and now its not. Try re-attaching or hotlinking from a source using the [IMG] BBCode
    concede the fk infringement rather PK. A typo on my part!

it was certainly a jump and not a "step in any direction" and material to him being the player able to take possession at the front of the line which he did when the ball did come in

So for me it is the sort of deception beyond what the laws permit. That's why I asked for a view. It's one of those things that the laŵ developments have unnecessarily added complication when all you want to do is to get the ball back in play. If WR are fan of the quick throw in, they should get rid of all this rubbish imo.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I can't open the link but if both feet off ground at same time that is technically an early jump.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    So for me it is the sort of deception beyond what the laws permit.
    Other than personal morals, what can you base that on that would stand up to any kind of challenge?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well, there are tons of things going on at every lineout. If you are focusing on a relatively minor thing like this, I'll bet there is a good chance you could be missing far more important and material things.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Other than personal morals, what can you base that on that would stand up to any kind of challenge?
    SimonS - I think you're being a bit harsh on chuckie. The laws are very clear under 19.10(f) that jumping before the throw in is not permitted. Perhaps in your mind you were thinking chuckie was describing a small bob where the player's feign a jump but their feet barely leave the ground - I agree that that should not result in a FK. Whereas I think chukie did clarify that it is more than a step - it is a small jump!

I think it is one to manage - you may let it go first time - but on the next lineout I would be saying to the feign jumper that he should be careful with his baulk jump that his feet do not leave the ground as it may be construed as an early jump.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information