Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Faking the lineout jump

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Another one of these again?

"This act doesn't within my moral worldview of what should happen in a match, so I shall penalize it"

It isn't an offence. Don't do it. Please. It' isn't right, and you're also setting next week's ref up for a problem when he correctly applies the law.
    Sorry - I'm calling this one out as unnecessarily passive aggressive response to a genuine query about a situation a referee seeking some management advice.

Chuckie asked if his management was too harsh? I don't think he deserved this response at all.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    concede the fk infringement rather PK. A typo on my part!

it was certainly a jump and not a "step in any direction" and material to him being the player able to take possession at the front of the line which he did when the ball did come in

So for me it is the sort of deception beyond what the laws permit. That's why I asked for a view. It's one of those things that the laŵ developments have unnecessarily added complication when all you want to do is to get the ball back in play. If WR are fan of the quick throw in, they should get rid of all this rubbish imo.
    A working link would help people to say if they agree with your interpretation of events.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by menace View Post
    Sorry - I'm calling this one out as unnecessarily passive aggressive response to a genuine query about a situation a referee seeking some management advice.

Chuckie asked if his management was too harsh? I don't think he deserved this response at all.
    Well, it wasn't passive aggressive, it was a straightforward statement of how I reacted to the question.

Possibly unfairly to the OP, but I get a TON of these questions over here in the US, and this was of the same ilk. I stand by my philosophical outlook on the question though.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The lineout is (since the advent of lifting) one of the best opportunities for creative play. Please don't strangle it with unnecessary and unsupported (in law) penalties.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria -The North
    Grade
    Advisor/Assessor
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If a player of the non-throwing side jumps early do you FK them? What if a player from each team jumps early? I appreciate the two players are jumping for different reasons but being a simple soul I would expect both teams to wait until the ball is thrown; the law as written does not differentiate -as many players will remind you if you only FK one of them.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
    (Groucho Marx)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I had quite a few jumping earlies in LOs in my game on Saturday - I did remind them a couple of times but surprisingly they appeared to have no material effect on the LOs (and as such the game) which was good. Think of a reason not to blow the whistle.
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    Attachment 3651

One of my real bugbears at the lineout. The player takes the small jump forwards & towards the LOT, but not across it, the opposition number falls for it and follows the 17 who is legitimately changing his position (see it in the eyes) and the ball is then taken at the front with everyone else looking the wrong way.

If I see it I am going to penalise it everytime. While not trying to draw an infringement from the opposition, I see this as faking the jump and needs to be stamped out. It is certainly unsportsmanlike in my eyes. Too harsh?
    hopefully now.

IMG_0355.jpg

Yes he he took a jump of from 2 slightly towards the LoT into the space occupied by 17 and the ball was then thrown directly to him and off he went.
    Last edited by ChuckieB; 04-12-17 at 22:12.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

And I am sure that had the ball gone to any other position in the line I would have let it go as not material but keeping an eye out.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Jumping early is a fine line. Having no to remind u15's u16's that they get away with it only so long as they are learning the lift and then the lift and compete. At some point they do need to recognise there are laws that do need to be applied. Otherwise such habits go unchecked and then become the norm for them.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Just putting this out there.
    Why is it the lineout jumpers can baulk a jump...but the thrower cannot baulk a throw?

So what do you do when the opp jumps to cause the thrower to baulk his throw? FK the jumper or the thrower?
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information