Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    BSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cards in junior rugby

I know as the kids move up the ages in junior the sin bin is introduced and gets longer as they get older, but there is no mention of red cards. Can you even give a red in a junior match, if the incident was so bad as to warrant one? I myself have never even carded in a junior game, but read about a boy stamping on the face of another.
    Dave
    Berkshire Society Ref (L11)

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cards in junior rugby

most certainly. "Junior" to me means U13 and above. These kids are in year 8 at least at school - they are well aware of social norms and expectations. (Ok - some caveats )

If you would rather deal with it by asking a coach to permanently substitute the player at the younger age groups (not U15 and above though) then that maybe has the same effect. particularly if you are not goig to report the RC (for whatever reason)

didds
    Last edited by didds; 30-11-17 at 12:11.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    BSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    most certainly. "Junior" to me means U13 and above. These kids are in year 8 at least at school - they are well aware of social norms and expectations. (Ok - some caveats )

If you would rather deal with it by asking a coach to permanently substitute the player at the younger age groups (not U15 and above though) then that maybe has the same effect. particularly if you are not goig to report the RC (for whatever reason)

didds
    Cheers didds, that’s what I normally do, just ask for a sub. Next game is u15 so may be a bit stricter
    Dave
    Berkshire Society Ref (L11)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Junior is U13 to U18.
    U7 to U11 is Mini.
    U12 and U13 is Midi.

I would use cards for Junior, management with the coach for Mini and Midi.

It used to say in the continuum about not using cards for certain ages, but that got removed with the revamp we now have for some reason.
    So technically you could card at any age group.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I started a similar conversation over at http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread....-in-Mini-Rugby which might help, and reminds me that I didn't update with the answer I got from my RDO (well actually County), but in summary Red Cards do exist, if for no other reason than they trigger a disciplinary process (which varies according to age), specific answer was;

Yellow cards are not encouraged at Mini level, rather a word to coaches to ask for the player to be subbed.
    However, Red cards are a different matter. No hearings take place at Mini/Junior level below U13s, the club is deemed capable of carrying out an internal investigation.
    Working on the premise that ‘foul play is foul play regardless of age’, one has to be careful in the delivery of the card. A dangerous tackle or a reckless stamp etc, could warrant a red card in any game but you could be empathetic at the lower age ranges.
    Punches, and the similarly offensive strikes, and abuse (especially MOA), a red card should be in the refs mind. I have had a couple of hearings for U13’s for MOA and it is creeping into the game!
    As refs and coaches, we try to keep young players on the park, and no ref should ever say ‘you leave me no option’...there’s always an option! Refs should ALWAYS fill in a red card report...even though they may think afterwards that it was too harsh.
    That is for the Discipline hearing to decide any sanctions/tariffs that are necessary.

So I would exercise caution in delivering any cards, but there may be overriding circumstances that drive you doing so.
    Hope that helps

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davsas View Post
    Cheers didds, that’s what I normally do, just ask for a sub. Next game is u15 so may be a bit stricter
    Having coached this upper teen age groups a fair bit I'd say being strict is a good thing at U15 and U16. Testosterone and alpha male-ism starts to become rife at these ages as puberty kicks in. Sometimes a stricter approach can make things safer and more enjoyable for all.

just my 2p.

didds

Soc/Assoc
    North Midlands
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I find at U16-U18 you should make it clear that you will use cards if required - and often the mere mention of them is enough to resolve any issues. The players are usually still at a stage where they are horrified at the thought of receiving a card.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We give cards from U10 up - but I believe up to U12 can be replaced. U13 up are treated the same as seniors

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCraig View Post
    We give cards from U10 up - but I believe up to U12 can be replaced. U13 up are treated the same as seniors
    Correct. In this part of the world.

Get the little sh#ts used to cards so they know we mean business and won't accept their foul play and petulant behaviour. They learn consequences for their actions very quickly. Also gets the tears about cards done early - not pretty seeing a 14 year old crying because of a YC.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Having coached this upper teen age groups a fair bit I'd say being strict is a good thing at U15 and U16. Testosterone and alpha male-ism starts to become rife at these ages as puberty kicks in. Sometimes a stricter approach can make things safer and more enjoyable for all.

just my 2p.

didds
    sounds like some Slow developers in your neck of the woods! All that kicks in at u13 IME

Old enough to scrap/tackle dangerously/ or mouth off, then old enough to be disciplined for doing so IMO.

Thread Information