Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Player in scrumhalf position

Hi All

This is my first post on here following a disagreement with a fellow coach. Can you please clarify this situation. My team called a 5 man lineout. Instead of having a no 9 at the no 9 position we put a big guy. We throw in and catch the ball - can the big guy be the guy that rips the ball from the jumper and starts the maul? Or does the lineout first have to move one meter before he can join?

The reasoning behind this getting the maul started with a 5 vs 6 situation.

Regards

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Player in scrumhalf position

sounds fine to me

didds

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Hi All

This is my first post on here following a disagreement with a fellow coach. Can you please clarify this situation. My team called a 5 man lineout. Instead of having a no 9 at the no 9 position we put a big guy. We throw in and catch the ball - can the big guy be the guy that rips the ball from the jumper and starts the maul? Or does the lineout first have to move one meter before he can join?

Regards
    Welcome. But watch out for multiple views!

Your #9 can latch on to the ball, but must not take it until a maul forms. That requires the opponents to bind on the catcher (as distinct from trying to tackle him)
    A maul can form at the lineout. There is no requirement for it to move away first.

I don't know where the "one meter" idea comes from, but the lineout is not over until all the maul has moved form the line of touch.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Tenth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All

This is my first post on here following a disagreement with a fellow coach.
    Welcome!

Can you please clarify this situation. My team called a 5 man lineout. Instead of having a no 9 at the no 9 position we put a big guy.
    Absolutely

We throw in and catch the ball - can the big guy be the guy that rips the ball from the jumper and starts the maul?
    Interesting question. The lineout would have to be over for the receiver (big guy in the SH position) to form the maul. So how can the ball get to him? If it's knocked or passed to him, fine - definitely over. But ripping it? The lineout is also over if the ball is handed to a peeling player - and the receiver (by definition) can't peel.

So you'd probably get away with it - if only because the referee will take too long to think about what's wrong with it!

So you'd be doing this on the opposition throw and hoping to win the ball against the throw?

If you're throwing in, you should (politely) point out to the referee that the opposition have too many players!

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All

Regards
    From the LO definitions in Law 19

"Receiver. The receiver is the player in position to catch the ball when lineout players pass or knock the ball back from the lineout. Any player may be the receiver but each team may have only one receiver at a lineout."

So no problem putting a "big man" as the receiver.
    19.8.i.2 "Once the lineout has commenced, the receiver may move into the lineout and may perform all actions available to players in the lineout and is liable to related sanctions."

So no problem with your receiver joining a LO maul before it moves off the line.

The opposing team can have a receiver that can join the LO maul as well, so no real numerical advantage, and they recognize this tactic happening, can put a "big man" as their receiver to match the weight.

Also, a con of this tactic could be that if your LO maul stalls and is told to "use it", your scrum half, not participating in the LO, cannot run in front of the 10 offside line to pass it out, one of the LO players will need to do this.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

no - they have 5 v 5 with a big bugger as receiver

they throw in and win the ball.

presuming oppo engage (maul created) now big bugger joins maul.

If oppo don't engage = no maul. so keep ball at the fornt.

Bug bugger joins bunch of players and drive forwards.

simples.

I really don;t see what is stop a receiver from joining said maul/bunch once it is thrown and caught?

didds

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

dids - in fact what is happening is that when the jumper comes down we have the guy in the scrumhalf position bind to the jumper and rip the ball and all other players bind around him and hooker gets ball from him so that the drive is already well started before they can get organised.

The idea that the other coach have is of the 1m is concerning the guys that are 10 m away - normall behind the no 10 - they can only join the maul if it has moved 1m from the position of the maul.

Regards

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

dids - in fact what is happening is that when the jumper comes down we have the guy in the scrumhalf position bind to the jumper and rip the ball and all other players bind around him and hooker gets ball from him so that the drive is already well started before they can get organised.

The idea that the other coach have is of the 1m is concerning the guys that are 10 m away - normall behind the no 10 - they can only join the maul if it has moved 1m from the position of the maul.

Regards

Its not necessarily 1m.

Its when the lineout is over - which is down to the maul leaving the line of touch.

So it may need to be more than 1m.

and bear in mind if the oppo don't engage the "maul" the ripper can't do so. The ball must remain at the front to avoid obstruction.

didds
    Last edited by didds; 1 Week Ago at 16:12.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Itsnnot necessarily 1m.

Its when the lineout is over - which id down to the maul elavbing the line of touch.

So it may need to be more than 1m.

and bear in mind if the oppo don;t engage the "maul" the ripper can;t do so. the ball must remain at the front to avoid obstruction.

didds
    19.9.B.5

"When a ruck or maul develops in a lineout, and all the feet of all the players in the ruck or maul move beyond the line of touch, the lineout ends."

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Tenth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I really don;t see what is stop a receiver from joining said maul/bunch once it is thrown and caught?
    No, agreed. Once the maul is formed the receiver can join on the back. But having the receiver being the BC when the maul begins is a bit more interesting.

Thread Information