Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advantage after time expired

Quote Originally Posted by CliveG View Post
    The only thing I'm now not really comfortable with is the scenario where red knock on but then regather the ball themselves (not via a penalty infringement). As docy said, Red are now benefiting from their mistake, fine if the next score makes no difference, but just seems wrong if there is 1 point in it to win the league.
    That's an interesting problem.

TBH, I think there is a case for playing on and insisting they end the game 'properly'.

But it would look pretty weird and you might be on shaky ground with the lawbook (tactical advantage is the opportunity to use the ball as you wish, which wouldn't apply here). One for the forums, rather than the playing field

As a general rule, try not to do anything unexpected (as a referee). It diminishes players' and supporters' faith in you, and that won't help your game.
    You might be right in your unexpected decision, or you might be able to justify it. But chances are you won't get a chance, or if you do it'll be in the clubhouse after the game when the damage has already been done.

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    If you are playing advantage to blue and they knock on, you can't play on. It has to be back for the scrum (and in this case game ends)
    Exactly. That's why I wouldn't call advantage over straight away - once advantage is over, you can play advantage to the other team for the next knock-on.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"The advantage must be clear and real. A mere opportunity to gain advantage is not enough...."

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    "The advantage must be clear and real. A mere opportunity to gain advantage is not enough...."
    yes.

when you are one point down, the clear advantage is if the game doesn't end

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post

I immediately called advantage over
    OK but what's the big rush for? Just call "advantage" and see what happens. If the kicking team somehow regains the ball, blow for the knock on and end the game.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I would not play advantage any differently than I would have in minute 2, or 40.

It has to be realistically tactical or territorial. Playing an extended advantage because the non-offending team are a point down with time expired is unfair if I haven't held that standard the whole match.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    . Playing an extended advantage because the non-offending team are a point down with time expired is unfair if I haven't held that standard the whole match.
    You need to read the thread, as it's the opposite to that .

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the non offending side has possession after a "time expired" SCRUM then they have a clear and real advantage. Call it over and play on going back for the scrum is no option as it is "GAME OVER". Otherwise you could play a 5 min advantage and finally call "No advantage" back for the scrum (which is not going to take place as it was awarded in expired time). So, in such cases play on until the next Scrum / PK / LO and act according to the Laws at that point.

A Penalty advantage is a little different as the PK (or options) would take place.

So how do we treat that one?

FOr a PK advantage you have a protocol in your mind. Surely you apply that protocol as a norm. Now I understand that this notion of advantage in the oppo 22 needing at least a score to be "advantage over". I'm not always sure that is right (another debate I guess). BUT, would you apply that to a "Time Expired" advantage? A PK 5 meters out from your own goal line must result in a score? I'm not sure that makes sense.

Over all apply the same standard as you would to any other advantage of that type (PK or scrum).

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For a PK advantage the fact that time has elapsed makes no difference, and so is irrelevant

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Except that at some point you either call advantge over or you don't. You have to make a call. If you call it over the result is potentially very difference than if you are still "in advantage" Let's use a daft example:

83 mins on the clock with Blue 25-23 up. Blue pressing on Red's line Blue go off their feet to seal of ruck ball. Red manage to win it legally. Ref Calls Penalty advantage. Red counter attack and create a three man overlap covering 70 metres. Inside Blue's 22 red ball carrier drops the ball with the line beckoning (and no defender near)- see the unfortunate Mr Carlin!. Now I'm calling advantage over and tough luck.

Thread Information