Thread: Advantage after time expired

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advantage after time expired

For a PK advantage I would make the same decision in the 81st minute as I would in the 61st

For a scrum advantage it might potentially be a different decision, because in the 81st minute simply regaining possession (however poor), is in itself an enormous tactical advantage, which is not the case in the 61st minute.
    (Because possession is the only opportunity to keep the game going )

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Exactly.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    OK but what's the big rush for? Just call "advantage" and see what happens. If the kicking team somehow regains the ball, blow for the knock on and end the game.
    Because I see possession itself as sufficient advantage and giving them the extra protection of being able to end the game if the opposition regain possession goes well beyond that.

As someone pointed out earlier: they've got the opportunity to score themselves (or make it dead, if they so choose), but with that they could also throw an interception and lose more heavily and they shouldn't be protected from that.

And from a practical point of view, where would you call advantage over? If they kept possession, but lost 20m (where I think we'd all agree is no advantage if it happens in the 12th minute) would you go back for the game ending scrum? If you're going to apply the same standards as the rest of the game it could be a really long advantage!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For a scrum offence, the ref's decision is advantage over (ie play on) or no advantage gained and game is over as you can't go back for the scrum. I think in this case the best course of action is to call advantage over quite quickly - they have the tactical advantage of possession and given time is up it is worth letting that play on rather than stopping the game. During normal time, though it may be better to allow a little bit more play before you decide if the scrum is better than playing on.

As for PK, then no different from during game time. Pegleg, I would have expected advantage over to be the call once they got anywhere near the halfway line as possession there will almost certainly be better than a PK on their own 5m line. If they spill it after that (and it doesn't matter if during normal time or not) then as you say, tough and you don't give them two chances.

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    Because I see possession itself as sufficient advantage and giving them the extra protection of being able to end the game if the opposition regain possession goes well beyond that.

As someone pointed out earlier: they've got the opportunity to score themselves (or make it dead, if they so choose), but with that they could also throw an interception and lose more heavily and they shouldn't be protected from that.
    Nor should they be exposed to that quicker than for the rest of the match. Just play normal advantage.

And from a practical point of view, where would you call advantage over? If they kept possession, but lost 20m (where I think we'd all agree is no advantage if it happens in the 12th minute) would you go back for the game ending scrum? If you're going to apply the same standards as the rest of the game it could be a really long advantage!
    Scrum advantage shouldn't be really long. If they go 20m back and get pinned there then you blow up, as you would for a normal scrum. No advantage, full time.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For me I am going to call advantage over pretty quickly and leave it to the players to determine when the game ends (and who wins) and not me.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

And for the team who knocked on and say "but we knocked it on and wanted you to give the scrum and end the game" I would say, was the KO deliberate, sounds like it, so that would be a penalty against you and we are still playing. If they want to end the game, they need to kick it out while they have it or if they have lost possession, they need to regain possession or force their opponents into making an error or infringement.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    If they go 20m back and get pinned there then you blow up, as you would for a normal scrum. No advantage, full time.
    Except when in injury time, for a narrowly losing side getting pinned back 20m is still much more of an advantage than ending the game.

As a player, which would you prefer? That's the essence of advantage.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Except when in injury time, for a narrowly losing side getting pinned back 20m is still much more of an advantage than ending the game.

Exactly. advantage over .

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"The advantage must be clear and real. A mere opportunity to gain an advantage is not enough".

Thread Information