Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    9+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Penalty Try and Beam Me Up Scottie justification

I've been coached to apply the "beam me up scottie" approach when looking at foul play preventing a try or , significantly, scoring a try in a better position.

For the avoidance of doubt, this approach says to look at what would probably have happened if the player-who-fouled was removed from the scenario, and , it specifically tells us that we should not consider things such as : "Well, if that player had not committed foul play, then he would have got back and prevented the try legally".

I have 2 questions arising from recent watched TMO conversations which lead me to doubt what I've learned.

1) Is there a reference or clarification which I can quote which tells me to apply the "beam me up Scottie" approach.? I am struggling to find one.

2) The "in-goal" laws, 22.17, make specific mention that a PT may be awarded *if* a try would have been scored in a "better position". Now, does this mean that I cannot consider this "better position" idea if the foul play occurred outside the in-goal area ? This seems a little unfair, if so. But that's one interpretation.

Cheers, in advance,
    Last edited by CrouchTPEngage; 13-12-17 at 11:12.

Thread Information