Soc/Assoc
    Brisbane Rugby League Referees Association
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Consistent advantage

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    If there's to consistency is how advantage is applied (essentially when/how it's over) then there needs to be some guidance from the top. Is there any?

Two factors that should not apply is a. team competency in any particular aspect of the game and b. the score.
    What is advantageous to a team directly relates to their competency at particular aspects of the game, the score, and the time remaining in the game.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If there's to consistency is how advantage is applied (essentially when/how it's over) then there needs to be some guidance from the top. Is there any?

Two factors that should not apply is a. team competency in any particular aspect of the game and b. the score.
    I don't agree, if a team is getting really hammered at the scrum , unable to get clean possession, then I might well call advantage over when they get clean possession 5m behind the gain line .. they have reached a position better than the scrum, they won't thank you for calling no advantage, scrum

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by leaguerefaus View Post
    What is advantageous to a team directly relates to their competency at particular aspects of the game, the score, and the time remaining in the game.
    Yes, I agree these are all factors in but I don't think the referee should be doing the factoring. Slippery slope to the rabbit hole etc., etc.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes, I agree these are all factors in but I don't think the referee should be doing the factoring. Slippery slope to the rabbit hole etc., etc.
    8.1 ADVANTAGE IN PRACTICE
    (a) The referee is sole judge of whether or not a team has gained an advantage. The referee
    has wide discretion when making decisions.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

But what does that mean ?
    Isn't it completely redundant ? You could equally well say that the referee is the sole judge of whether there has been a knock on, offside, materiality etc etc

Teams can decide they don't want to try and gain advantage (by just stopping playing and waiting for the scrum to be given)

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Teams can decide they don't want to try and gain advantage (by just stopping playing and waiting for the scrum to be given)
    That's the easy one - if teams want you to stop play they'll let you know. Hell, I even had one team ask me not to play their advantage for scrum infringements because they wanted to scrummage.

IME, you don't get it happening the other way around, though. I can't recall anyone explicitly asking for advantage to be called over.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    The advantage after time expired thread had several people replying saying that advantage should always be played the same way, which surprised me a bit.
    DocY, there are 2 different discussion points here and we need to be careful which one we are discussing at any one time.

Once a team infringes (eg knocks-on) there can only be one of two outcomes: either a whistle/scrum or "advantage over".

The path from knock-on to whistle/scrum can be very short (eg Red knock-on then Red regather) or it can be much longer (eg Red knock-on, Blue gather and have a good scoring opportunity). I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

The other path from knock-on to "advantage over" was the issue being discussed in the other thread.
    Last edited by Dickie E; 20-12-17 at 22:12.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

But those are two factors that lead to "tactical" rather than "territorial" advantage

Thread Information