Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Tenth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Advantage because you don't know what else to do

Sorry to launch yet another advantage thread, but this one's a bit different.

In our pre-Christmas society meeting we had a senior assessor show us a bunch of clips and ask "what would you do?". They fell into three categories: did you see what happened?, game management, some lesser spotted piece of law.

There weren't many of us there, so we could give individual answers.

I was quite disappointed with the number of people who just said "play advantage" - which was explicitly not the point of the exercise and looked like an excuse not to make a decision.

So my question is: how much do we play advantage because we just don't know what else to do?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Advantage because you don't know what else to do

Never.

You're playing advantage becuase youve seen an infringement.
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

+1 with Menace.

I don't think I have ever done this. Can you give a concrete example? Is it like saying "I can't remember if its a PK or FK for SH dummying at the scrum so I'll just play on"?

Although I do get frustrated with refs who obfuscate the answer to a question with "just manage it".
    Last edited by Dickie E; 21-12-17 at 11:12.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Tenth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    +1 with Menace.

I don't think I have ever done this. Can you give a concrete example? Is it like saying "I can't remember if its a PK or FK for SH dummying at the scrum so I'll just play on"?

Although I do get frustrated with refs who obfuscate the answer to a question with "just manage it".
    It felt like a mix of (an alternative to) "just manage it" and "I can't remember..."

At the risk of getting off topic: one was a player not retreating behind the ball (or even behind the 10m line!) after a 22 drop out, then interfering with play.

Was quite an interesting discussion, but suggesting just playing advantage wasn't at all helpful.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Give us an example scenario DocY
    Playing Advantage seems like you have committed yourself to a specific offence

If you have lost track somehow and really don't know what's going on , a more normal ploy is a scrum, too much going on there , blue going forward.

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I guess it's an easy get-out when someone shows you a clip and tells you there's been an offence and demands to know what you'd do. In a match, you either see something or don't; if you call advantage just because you don't know the sanction you're risking being found out if the advantage doesn't materialise, and you still have to guess how much advantage there is.

I've certainly been unsure of sanctions, and uncertain of whether and which offences have happened - I'd have my doubts about any ref who claimed otherwise - but I'm fairly sure I've never given advantage and hoped for the best just to cover up my ignorance.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Last week I penalised a scrum half for kicking the ball back into the scrum after it came out the side (long story, don't ask), and then was immediately in that FK? or PK? territory ..

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Tenth
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    I guess it's an easy get-out when someone shows you a clip and tells you there's been an offence and demands to know what you'd do.
    I hope you're right there!

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

i have lost track of ball at a tackle / ruck , as physically not able to sprint 60 meters as quick as a ball has been kicked .
    and found lads of ball kicking team , were able to run much quicker & get to ball quicker than me .

i have a couple of times been unsure of how did a ball get turned over so quick .
    or missed possible knock on with both teams wondering how on earth did he miss that .

in all these occasions i have always played on { but never awarded a team advantage with arm out }.

i can most definitely say , i have never awarded advantage for an infringement , because i didnt know what else to do .
    as your post asks .

yes ive messed up .
    but ive always been in control

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if "Not got a clue, can't see an infringement, play on" is getting confused with "advantage".

I only call advantage (and, equally, blow an offence) if I know something has happened to warrant it. Absent that, play on.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Thread Information