Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Advantage because you don't know what else to do

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    I wonder if "Not got a clue, can't see an infringement, play on" is getting confused with "advantage".

I only call advantage (and, equally, blow an offence) if I know something has happened to warrant it. Absent that, play on.
    I expect (and hope) you and Rich are right. I expect there's a bit more of "I don't want to look stupid in front of all these referees, I better not say 'I don't know' or give the wrong answer" that you just wouldn't get on a Saturday afternoon.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I will repeat the answer given by asking "how do you give advantage if you don't know what to do? It's nonsense.
    I'm sure the situation has occured for most of us when we haver a blind moment when we cant remember what the sanction is for a particular offence. We need to do something even if it is to play on. I guess we have three options:

If everyone plays on you could let it go. No one is expecting a call so live with it making a mental note to check that law next time.

A quick "management" call. "Careful 5 no effect this time but next time I might have to blow".

or

Blow and scale down the call to a scrum with a " A bit messy, a few things wrong there guys (probably not wrong!) We have a scrum to Red".

In a socity meeting I'd make a call and use it as a learning exercise.

- - - Updated - - -

I will repeat the answer given by asking "how do you give advantage if you don't know what to do? It's nonsense.
    I'm sure the situation has occured for most of us when we haver a blind moment when we cant remember what the sanction is for a particular offence. We need to do something even if it is to play on. I guess we have three options:

If everyone plays on you could let it go. No one is expecting a call so live with it making a mental note to check that law next time.

A quick "management" call. "Careful 5 no effect this time but next time I might have to blow".

or

Blow and scale down the call to a scrum with a " A bit messy, a few things wrong there guys (probably not wrong!) We have a scrum to Red".

In a socity meeting I'd make a call and use it as a learning exercise.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It you called advantage and the team immediately knocked on, how could you avoid making a decision then?
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    It you called advantage and the team immediately knocked on, how could you avoid making a decision then?
    Oh, I didn't say it was a good thing to do!

As others have pointed out, though. It's probably not the sort of thing people actually do on the park.

Thread Information