Thread: Preventing QTI by touching ball whilst in posession of the opposition

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Preventing QTI by touching ball whilst in posession of the opposition

19.2 states:

(d). For a quick throw-in, the player must use the ball that went into touch. A quick throw-in is not permitted if another person has touched the ball apart from the player throwing it in and an opponent who carried it into touch. The same team throws into the lineout.

(h) At a quick throw-in, a player must not prevent the ball being thrown in 5 metres.
    Sanction: Free Kick on 15-metre line

If Red player takes the ball into touch and Blue rips the ball from the hands of Red Ball carrier what is the situation if another Red player runs up to Blue and places hands on the ball, now in Blue’s posession? Has Red player now denied Blue the opportunity of a quick throw by touching the ball (19.2.d) or is Red guilty of preventing the ball being thrown in therefore contravening 19.2.h?
    Keep smiling!

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Preventing QTI by touching ball whilst in posession of the opposition

This is one of those "I'd have to see it".

If the second Red player got a glancing contact with the ball and it had no material impact, I'd let Blue take QTI and have a word with Red player to not be a dick.

If he had material impact, penalise under 19.2.h
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Preventing QTI by touching ball whilst in posession of the opposition

I had something similar a few weeks ago .
    It was material
    I gave a PK (not a FK)

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

A trickier situation is if the first Red player, when he sees the Blue player approach, tosses the ball to his team mate. What would you do then?

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    A trickier situation is if the first Red player, when he sees the Blue player approach, tosses the ball to his team mate. What would you do then?

PK. Throwing the ball to a team mate is materially no different than throwing it away. Although not specifically prohibited in Law, IMO, it comes under denying the opposition the ball.

Law 19.2 (i) If a player carrying the ball is forced into touch, that player must release the ball to an
    opposition player so that there can be a quick throw-in.
    Sanction: Penalty kick on 15-metre line
    Last edited by Ian_Cook; 28-12-17 at 02:12.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think there are lots of shades of grey with this issue. Player runs into touch and immediately hands ball to ball boy. Offence? I would generally only penalise if Red player withheld handing the ball over to opponent

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I think there are lots of shades of grey with this issue. Player runs into touch and immediately hands ball to ball boy. Offence? I would generally only penalise if Red player withheld handing the ball over to opponent
    So what would you do if the player threw the ball over the hoardings (or in a grass-roots game, over the sideline crowd) ?
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I've just realised... 19.2d also prevents an initial blue player getting the ball and throwing/giving/lobbing it to another blue player to subsequently throw in.

didds

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I've seen pro players run into touch and give the ball to a ball boy in such a manner... though I can;t recall when or whether they then got penalised!

And TBH, giving away a FK is hardly any different to a lineout, and if in featr of a lineout maul near a try line may be preferable in some circumtances.

didds

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    I've seen pro players run into touch and give the ball to a ball boy in such a manner... though I can;t recall when or whether they then got penalised!

And TBH, giving away a FK is hardly any different to a lineout, and if in featr of a lineout maul near a try line may be preferable in some circumtances.

didds
    Its not a FK, its a PK.

19.2 (i) If a player carrying the ball is forced into touch , that player must release the ball to an opposition player so that there can be a quick throw-in.
    Sanction: Penalty kick on 15-metre line
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Thread Information