Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preventing tackled player from releasing the ball/tackled player not releasing

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Preventing tackled player from releasing the ball/tackled player not releasing

Quote Originally Posted by shnipvanwinkel View Post
    [...] I was talking more about the situation where the arriving player was simulating not releasing to win a PK.
    If C&O that is indeed an offence. If not C&O, it deserves a stern word of "mandatory advice".
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Preventing tackled player from releasing the ball/tackled player not releasing

Here's your problem:

2018 Law 14 Tackle

7. Tackled players must immediately:
    a. Make the ball available so that play can continue by releasing, passing or pushing the ball in any direction except forward. They may place the ball in any direction.
    b. Move away from the ball or get up.
    c. Ensure that they do not lie on, over or near the ball to prevent opposition players from gaining possession of it.

Once the tackled player has placed the ball and the opponent has his hands on it the onus is on the tackled player to not interfere, not the poacher to get the ball over the tackled player.
    So a PK against the tackled player is appropriate. Yes, the poacher is milking for the PK but he is only able to do this because the tackled player got isolated, the poacher got there first and got his hands on the ball before the TPs teammates could drive him off.

So who's playing the better rugby? And who is on the wrong side of the law?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    BSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In relation to one of the earlier replies I had the ( losing ) team on Saturday say I was not reffing the ruck correctly as I was not allowing the tackled player to place the ball, but the opposition were very quick at getting over the ball and contesting for it, which I explained. They still insisted I should be, under the laws, be allowing the tackled player to place the ball! I disagree
    Dave
    Berkshire Society Ref (L11)

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davsas View Post
    In relation to one of the earlier replies I had the ( losing ) team on Saturday say I was not reffing the ruck correctly as I was not allowing the tackled player to place the ball, but the opposition were very quick at getting over the ball and contesting for it, which I explained. They still insisted I should be, under the laws, be allowing the tackled player to place the ball! I disagree
    Dave, I agree with you. We as coaches were recommended this year to be looking to see if there was something stopping the legally arriving player playing the ball, eg the tackled player holding on, and penalise that as the first offence. So if a player is on his feet, approaching on-side, and gets hands on the ball (if tackler or tackle assist has to get back to feet and have clear separation from tackled palyer) then the tackled player needs to let go. He does not get allowed to hold on to it until he is ready to place the ball.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

... and never has !

another myth maybe?

didds

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davsas View Post
    hi davsas
    the way we have been told to ref same is ..
    the team who puts ball back for his team mate . following tackle
    where opposition jackler comes in , allow ball carrying team mate an opportunity to basically clean jackler out of same 1st .

if cleaners are too slow to come in , then this will be easy to see if player on ground his holding on to ball .
    but if cleaner can blow him out , play on .

however if jackler has gone past ball with hands on floor , & he manages to scope ball back with him , whilst cleaner pushes him back .
    we are now looking to penalise jackler .

but we all have to be honest & appreciate every break down has to be reffed by what & how you see it , at that time .

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This is a variation on the old cry of "You've got to let him up!"

Yes, it is legal for the tackled player to place the ball. Similarly it is legal for a player to score a try. However there are legal ways of stopping him, and the same applies to tackled player trying to place the ball. If the jackler gets to the ball before it has been placed, he has all the rights. The tackled player has to release.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Here's your problem:

2018 Law 14 Tackle

7. Tackled players must immediately:
    a. Make the ball available so that play can continue by releasing, passing or pushing the ball in any direction except forward. They may place the ball in any direction.
    b. Move away from the ball or get up.
    c. Ensure that they do not lie on, over or near the ball to prevent opposition players from gaining possession of it.

Once the tackled player has placed the ball and the opponent has his hands on it the onus is on the tackled player to not interfere, not the poacher to get the ball over the tackled player.
    So a PK against the tackled player is appropriate. Yes, the poacher is milking for the PK but he is only able to do this because the tackled player got isolated, the poacher got there first and got his hands on the ball before the TPs teammates could drive him off.

So who's playing the better rugby? And who is on the wrong side of the law?
    But The Jackle can't pull the ball into the tackled player to milk a PK. It is a coache technique to pull the ball into the tackled player in defensive situations to get the relieving PK. Whilst in the oppo 22 try to get quick ball to go fro the Turnover try.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I could not agree more with all that is being said here. For me this is the most important aspect of reffing the game, after safety, and the one area that the pro game is so woefully out of line.

It is no surprise that players keep saying that they “have the right to lay the ball back” and that players dive over / across / in front... and then complain about getting pinged.

I know what to do, you know what to do, then why the hell does this not get reffed in the Pro game? Scotland v France last weekend was prime example of anarchy at the breakdown; dive over and seal off so long as you are on the ball carrier’s side...

Sorry, think I might have made this point before....
    Keep smiling!

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It is now a standard practice for players to execute a roll (or two) after the tackle to gain ground, buy time for support to arrive and prevent the ops from getting hands on the ball.

Has anyone ever seen even an admonition from a referee?

Thread Information