Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default The gate described 2018 law "change"

What are the parameters for "direction of their own goal line"? This seems to be much less specific than "from behind the ball and directly behind..."

This "change" (or difference in wording) also seems to allow entry be arriving players at the tackle to enter the tackle at almost any point in the 360degree area not necessarily from their team side as long as they enter the TA in a direction of forward in reference from their GL. i.e. a player may enter from beside his team (not within ye olde gate) and proceed within boundary of tackle area to the far end of tackle area.

Gosh, this was the big chance to get the "gate" writ into law. Everyone knows the gate, and we could even get a secondary signal for it. (sarcasm)

2018 Law 14, 8c

Other players must:

Arrive at the tackle from the direction of their own goal line before playing the ball.

Law 15.6 (c) At a tackle or near to a tackle, other players who play the ball must do so from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player or the tackler closest to those player's goal line

"from the direction of their own goal line" seems more lenient to me.
    Last edited by Not Kurt Weaver; 07-01-18 at 18:01.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The gate described 2018 law "change"

That is a fair point
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

NKW, I think you mean the 180 degree arc that lies on the player's side of the tackle? If you come from in front of the tackled player you are clearly not coming from the direction of your own goal line.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    NKW, I think you mean the 180 degree arc that lies on the player's side of the tackle? If you come from in front of the tackled player you are clearly not coming from the direction of your own goal line.
    well just for pedantic sake we should say 179 degree arc. And YES that is reasonable, but that is only in regard to direction of travel. The 360 degree, I mentioned is the point where a player can possibly enter the TA within the new wording whilst maintaining the 179 arc direction of travel.

Without this from behind the ball and from directly behind the tackled player entry pt. is omitted.

Entry point to tackle (and defined tackle area) are no longer specified.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    Your point is certainly the current status quo and understood by most, but it ain't written to cover entry.
    Last edited by Not Kurt Weaver; 08-01-18 at 03:01.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The closer to one's own goal line one is, the greater the extent of arc permissible if we were to be mathematically/diagrammatically correct.

the goal line being bounded by the two corner flags, clearly a triangle with sides created by the ball and each flag, has a much greater size angle at the apex 1m from the goal line than 99m from the goal line.

Not that we can expect referees to try and implement this, and i cannot believe this is what is intended anyway.

Poor wording.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    Ohio
    Grade
    C3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    The closer to one's own goal line one is, the greater the extent of arc permissible if we were to be mathematically/diagrammatically correct.

the goal line being bounded by the two corner flags, clearly a triangle with sides created by the ball and each flag, has a much greater size angle at the apex 1m from the goal line than 99m from the goal line.

Not that we can expect referees to try and implement this, and i cannot believe this is what is intended anyway.

Poor wording.
    Yeah, i thought of that also cept I had no idea how to put i in writing.

additionally is the apex at hmf of own team or opponent hmf. Or even worse, is not even a triangle but a trapezoid. A trapezoid would allow the TA to fit its peak side, but not extend to an apex beyond opponent hmf.

Thread Information