Thread: Use of Cards in Mini Rugby

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Use of Cards in Mini Rugby

Not looking for a debate, as 99% sure (in RFU land) the answer is no, no cards, but I am looking for a reference to policy, or best practice that I can circulate, but am finding nothing in Reg 15, the NROP for minis, or anything else.

I have found this - http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/2462.php#.We4KlraZObg

Which states, amongst others;

Yellow and Red Cards:
    Mini rugby (up to and including U12)
    No yellow or red cards in Mini Rugby only compulsory substitutions to ensure same numbers on the pitch at all times.
    Which is the basis (as a minis coach) I have always worked to (except that reference is of course IRFU) as has every other coach, but to the best of my knowledge it's just something that has been passed down over the years - is there any reference anyone can lay their hands on? Closest I have found is within the RFU disciplinary docs which states it's dealt with by the age grade coach at RFU minis level.

TIA

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Use of Cards in Mini Rugby

At U12 the WRU states:

T "The WRU requires that both teams shall field the same number of players throughout the game, however if a player is sent off that team is disadvantaged.

So for us from 12 and above number stat equal and stay equal if injury occurs BUT not if foul play requires a Sending Off."

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

All we have in RFU NROP is the specification of number per side, no variations in terms of injury or any other scenario where numbers change.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Check the rfu age grade rules of play for each age grade. Never the easiest page to find.

http://www.englandrugby.com/governance/regulations

First mention of sin bin comes at u13 but only in respect of the time out being 5 minutes.

As there is no longer true competitive element at these levels, even festivals, I would hope he welfare and enjoyment are the focus. If coaches are looking for something more then they should perhaps question their own involvement! Common sense should prevail.
    Last edited by ChuckieB; 23-10-17 at 20:10.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    Check the rfu age grade rules of play for each age grade. Never the easiest page to find.

http://www.englandrugby.com/governance/regulations

First mention of sin bin comes at u13 but only in respect of the time out being 5 minutes.

As there is no longer true competitive element at these levels, even festivals, I would hope he welfare and enjoyment are the focus. If coaches are looking for something more then they should perhaps question their own involvement! Common sense should prevail.
    Don't disagree in the slightest, and my interpretation has always been that the absence of a reference to sin bin times is indicative of the fact that there are none, coupled with from U13 up it should be a county appointment ideally, so a qualified and accountable official to administer the cards.

However, some people think the lack of a specific instruction means they can do what they like, so looking for specifics!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I can buy the case from no YC unless stated. Manage with compulsory sub call. However, if a player at under 10 (for example) unleashed a punch that floored a player are you telling me he should "get away" with it? Tournaments / Festivals usually include a "Red card and you are out of the tournament" rule Ican see an issue with that.

Taking the point: Iif it is not included then you can't use it" Usually age group variations often (normally?) include the "catch all" that WR laws apply UNLESS the variations specify differently. If that is the case then cards apply.
    Last edited by Pegleg; 24-10-17 at 08:10.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Appendix 6 of the RFU rules give an outline of Disciplinary procedure but does not refer to cards. But it clearly considers the possibility of action being taken "post game". If I was in RFU land, I would seek a specific "ruling" from my society / RFU to establish what should be done in the event or a RC or YC situation. Until that was forthcoming I would work on SAFETY being key and that is the safety of the victim and not the agressor.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I can buy the case from no YC unless stated. Manage with compulsory sub call. However, if a player at under 10 (for example) unleashed a punch that floored a player are you telling me he should "get away" with it? Tournaments / Festivals usually include a "Red card and you are out of the tournament" rule Ican see an issue with that.
    Also from the link above from Ireland, which is again how it's been played out (only happened once thankfully and opposition coach was all over it, as it should be)

Punching/ kicking of an opponent:
    No warning - immediate compulsory substitution and the player is not allowed to participate in next match or rest of the day's event

Taking the point: Iif it is not included then you can't use it" Usually age group variations often (normally?) include the "catch all" that WR laws apply UNLESS the variations specify differently. If that is the case then cards apply.
    Ssh, that's the flaw in my thinking!

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 15 - 11
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Appendix 6 of the RFU rules give an outline of Disciplinary procedure but does not refer to cards. But it clearly considers the possibility of action being taken "post game". If I was in RFU land, I would seek a specific "ruling" from my society / RFU to establish what should be done in the event or a RC or YC situation. Until that was forthcoming I would work on SAFETY being key and that is the safety of the victim and not the agressor.
    I've already emailed our RDO, answers don't tend to appear rapidly though!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think cards start when you play the 15 a side game. But I don't know what age that is nowadays

Thread Information