None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Abusing referees

I read below article earlier .

http://email.trinitymirror-news.co.u...MsOGaM2XMF7CF/

Now my 1st thoughts were , i see a guy doing his best , so give him a break .
    What surprised me were the comments below article ( these comments will take couple more mins to appear )
    I was surprised by an x welsh ref who puts blame at wru for not training / coaching new refs . Properly ..

A couple of contributors paint a different picture of what went on.
    And the ref it seems had his part to play also ,,as in time he arrived at site ,,an imaginary coin toss .
    And it reads that he had no real interest .

Now i wasnt there ,,so i clearly cant contribute to what went on ..
    But the x welsh comment stuck with me ,,by blaming wru ref societys ..

So here is my question .
    With out naming your societys ,,are you all satisfied with the coaching / mentoring you are getting .
    How often do you actually meet .
    Are your meetings structured ,,or is it a free for all ..

Is it possible ,,new & not so new refs are actually not receiving proper mentoring .

Here is 1 example
    I do note in other threads that some still hold view that new law book over rules in places old law book .
    Our society have told us ,,no new rules have been added etc .
    And the game is to be reffed the same .as old law book
    I feel i have got proper & correct answer ,,so thats how im going forward .

But it seems to me ,,others either havent been given this guidance ,,or maybe dont attend their own meetings ,,or possibly dont have meetings at their disposal ..or simply cant accept the rules havent changed ..

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Abusing referees

Very Orwellian

So lets test it
    . what is your view on the cavalry charge ? Specifically does one player charging on his own constitute a cavalry charge?
    (because in the 2017 Law Book he does, but in the 2018 Law book he doesn't )

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Hi cross ,,ok ill answer your question .
    Answer = i will be reffing cavalry charge exactly the same as i did before new book came out .
    Because the society meetings i attend ,,thats what ive been told

Would you reply to my question .
    With out naming your societys ,,are you all satisfied with the coaching / mentoring you are getting .
    How often do you actually meet .
    Are your meetings structured ,,or is it a free for all

Nb ..my posting is not about new book .it was just an example .
    My post is about the referee in wales paper who abandoned game .
    With a follow up from my self ,,simply asking what type of mentoring are other refs , like your self receiving ,,and are meetings there for you to attend & if so are people attending .
    Or do you feel abandoned .

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

What I would like to know is has the Ref in question "sent off" any other spectators?

My point is if he's a young Ref starting out (unlikely given the level of the game) and he's "sent off" say 5 spectators in the last 3 months, perhaps his tolerance meter may need re-calibrating. Let's be blunt we all get sarky comments from the touchline (eg "Bloody hell Ref that was never offside") it goes with the job but I would be surprised if a Ref "sent off" a spectator for a comment like that. There's comments and there is abuse - I reckon you'll recognise it when you hear it.

Some of the comments in that article are just laughable. A Ref starting out and having passed the law exam is restricted to reffing school age players till he gets assessed and deemed good enough to progress to Level 2. The best of those progress to Level 3 but would have had years of experience and assessments before getting to that level.

Perhaps you would get more replies Christy if you posted this in the Referees Only section, rather than the public part. Anyway, our meetings are structured and I can't complain at the level of mentoring I've had.
    Last edited by Taff; 20-01-18 at 01:01.

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Looking at the ex welsh referee commenting on the article, I don't recognise the picture. I am guessing he is a Newport man judging from his "handle" (thePort = Newport)

His comments:

"as a former WRU referee, the blame lies with the WRU Refs society

they set no standards in recruitment and the only qualification is that you will run out into the middle with a whistle No thought is given to man-management skills , fitness and emphathy with the laws.Plus if you want the best, start paying !!! any plonker can walk into the middle with a yellow jersey on - Thats won't make you a referee"

So what of his comments?
    Line one is nonsense. There is an exam for L1 and mentoring / observations befors you get to L2 (youth / basic senior level) For L3 refs there are further exams and assessments ioncluding fitness. As you progress to the elite level again you have standards etc to meet.

Line two is again full of holes. Man management and empathy is given a high priority now and fitness is something that is regularly discusses between Assessprs and refs.

Line three is factually incorrect. perhaps "
    ...any plonker who is qualified can walk into the middle with a yellow jersey on - Thats won't make you a referee" maight be more accurate.

His commens may reflect when he qualified. they do not reflect current practice. They may also be indicative of a man whith a chip on his shoulder.

Taking Taff's post. He will be at least an L3, no chance of a newbie for that level of game. Did he over react? Possibly but that is not really the point. He asked the spectator to leave but the spectator refused. That is not acceptable to me. I have witnessed refs abandon games too easily, did this one? We can't say from the report. Certainly it will be noted that neither team seems to be questioning his actions.

My society is excellent, well attended and fun, and I for one get a lot from the meetings.

Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 20-01-18 at 11:01.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree that this should be moved out of the public eye.

My first thought is sympathy with the junior referee, giving of his time and - let's face it - we set our own bar as the level of abuse we are willing to take. Obviously this spectator crossed the line with the referee and refused to back down, leaving the referee with no other option.
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Regarding taking out of public view .
    Im not looking to shame the ref , or spectator or x welsh ref .
    Ive posted a snip it from a welsh paper ,,which is in the public view .

It simply made me think , are we all getting sufficient mentoring etc , about what we do , as the man / women in middle ..

I have never had a game where some body hasn't shouted or tried to inform me ,,that such & such player was off side . And also the opposite ,,when ive penalised a player for being off side ,,ive heard advice from side line saying ,,he was never off side ref .
    Maybe im lucky that spectators who attend my matches are all experts and are doing their best to show me the errors of my game .

I have only once asked a coach to leave field ,,due to abuse he gave me whilst game was stopped due to injury ,, after the match his own head coach approached me and asked would i send in a letter of complaint to club ,,as they were all sick of this guys behaviour ..

It would for me have to be a serious matter of abuse to abandon a match .
    I would ask the supporters captain 1st , for a bit of advice , in what can he do to have spectator leave .
    And i would do it ,,if i felt i had no other option .

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Hi cross ,,ok ill answer your question .
    Answer = i will be reffing cavalry charge exactly the same as i did before new book came out .
    Because the society meetings i attend ,,thats what ive been told
    I think you might have misunderstood what the society told you.
    I think the message is that you should referee it as it says in the 2018 book .... and that's how you should have been reffing it previosuly.

So in this case one man doesn't constitute a cavalry charge, and never should have, really

Back the incident in question - I love this comment !

The trouble is the referee Think they are judges You can’t say anything these days to them they are right you are wrong all time with them
    well ... yes ! That's exactly the job of the ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ref said "check your own boots"
    Don't belive it

"Ref turned up late"
    Possible late change. I on e was a late sub turning up 30 mins late only go t the game at 2.20 10 mins before ko.

"No coin"
    I've as refs do rock paper scissors ext imaginary coin . I don't bvag that at all.

"No cards"

If I forgot them I'd keep quiet about out. Mind I'd it was a later change he may not have had everyhing to hand and rushed across.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Here is 1 example
    I do note in other threads that some still hold view that new law book over rules in places old law book .
    Our society have told us ,,no new rules have been added etc .
    And the game is to be reffed the same .as old law book
    I feel i have got proper & correct answer ,,so thats how im going forward .
    which was somewhat my point in another thread ...

So - what did your society say when confronted with the blatant differences in the 2017 and 2018 laws (see other thread with the excellent spreadsheet of differences) ? I am merely interested not trying tos core points.

didds

Thread Information