Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Abusing referees

Where I am now (The Illawarra, NSW) they have match day coordinators for all the off field stuff, which I understand would cover this sort of abuse, I haven't been reffing since arriving on these shores, just coaching and can see the differences between the EMRU land and IDRU on match days.
    I could not say which is better but they are different, with the IDRU match day all teams play at the same venue one after the other on the same pitch. Good because it means that more players are available as subs and also the ref from the 3rd grade almost always then becomes AR for grade 2 and both for Grade 1. Usual banter is normally on the sidelines but because of the length of time they can be standing there and at the bar very occasionally I have heard a few people start to go to far. This has always been dealt with by peers or the match day coordinator in plenty of time.

I am also now involved with Coaching Junior Rugby League (Girls Tag) and they have a similar set up there, I have heard of problems but not seen any yet. The difference is quite striking in the level of control that even junior clubs exercise on spectators and coaches across the two codes.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In our society we only appoint to u17 and u18 , and those are graded higher than many adult games .. so newbies start with adult games and graduate to age grade .

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RedCapRef View Post
    The difference is quite striking in the level of control that even junior clubs exercise on spectators and coaches across the two codes.
    Striking in what way? Which one is better?
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    Ultimately they carry the can for the abuse if they refuse to name the supporter in any subsequent investigation.
    That idea is totally fine and I don't disagree in principle... but what happens when the "supporter" is genuinely unknown to the home club?

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The more common problem is that the troublesome supporter is totally known to the club, and is in fact one of the blazers, and no one will address the problem

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    The more common problem is that the troublesome supporter is totally known to the club, and is in fact one of the blazers, and no one will address the problem
    Confronting spectators is rarely advisable. I remember a good but relatively inexperienced referee getting fed up with an obnoxious spectator and demanding to know his name. The spectator sneered "I ain't got no name" and ran away behind a laughing crowd, leaving the referee rather red-faced.

Best is to get the captain to talk to somebody senior from the club and ask him to deal with the offender.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    9+1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Given the OP asked :
    "With out naming your societys ,,are you all satisfied with the coaching / mentoring you are getting .
    How often do you actually meet .
    Are your meetings structured ,,or is it a free for all ."

Crossref, I think we are in the same society albeit maybe different region.

I get observed/assessed about 3 to 4 times per season. The observer is listening to my microphone. I get about 1 exchange ( where I am sent a long way away to calibrate the assessments across regions ). We have monthly regional meeting where the agenda has a main theme e.g. "New Laws", "The Lineout", "Managing the Scrum". Here there is usually a presentation (with video examples) which we discuss in pods and contribute to a common understanding. I find it quite useful, personally.
    We'll also get any updates on law clarifications which we are asked to implement.

I assume this is similar to other regions ?

CTPE

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Things like the lack of communication regarding the 2018 law book can be a big issue . But generally in darkest west Wales we are ok.

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with putting the onus on the clubs. THe home club could find it difficult to deal with an away supporter and it is a potential flash point. So if you can see which side the "pain" is from let each deal with their own.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I've come across serious abuse from "the lone dickhead" five or six times in my career. You should never ignore it.
    As others have said, get the captain and the blazers involved and make it clear in that if it continues you are abandoning the game.
    Worked every time for me, and I did mean it.l
    Make sure you tell your society even if you come to and amicable conclusion which in all my cases I have and been bought apologetic beers.
    The lone dickheads never worry me, too experienced and thick skinned but they could ruin the afternoon foer a less experienced colleague and be at it every week.
    One of them is now the referee contact at the club!
    Ciaran Trainor

Thread Information