Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Well done Australia!

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I have a theory that women's rugby would be better & less error-prone if the ball was a little smaller. Physiology and all that.
    I agree. Where do you think the resistance would come from for change?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

There was actually a size 4.5 for women's rugby.
    https://www.sportsballshop.co.uk/aca...ugby-Ball.html
    I do not know why it has not been more widely adopted but will be trying to get them for my Squad this year, and hopefully adopted for the local comp.

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Most of the Women Coaches of my acquaintance want to play with the normal size.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That might be due to the availability of the "odd" size, they are difficult to get hold of and quite a lot more expensive as there is a very limited choice.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

When I coached my lad's U14 side (or whatever age it was) we had a lad who was a dab hand with the one handed offload (SBW stylee) with the size 4 ball. When we moved to a size 5 he kept ballsing it up and losing possession - he packed in playing soon after.
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I have a theory that women's rugby would be better & less error-prone if the ball was a little smaller. Physiology and all that.
    I think that our game is great partly because we do not feel we need to change the game so women can play. They play differently but within the same laws. I attended the WC (XVs) in Ireland and was impressed with the skill, didn't ever think gee I wish they made it easier for these gals. Have you run your theory by any women? How did they like it?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I confess I presumed female rugby was played with a size 4.5 ball already.

didds

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Changing ball size doesn't change the game but it would improve passing and kicking distances overall which can stretch the field. A plus in my book.

I don't think that you'd get a meaningful response by asking women players as they will not have the experience, for the most part, of playing with a smaller ball.

Introducing a small ball for a complete 7s tourney would be interesting as the difference would show up most in the 7s game.

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I thought it was a 4.5 ball at top level too, to be honest, but they're not competition-legal.

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Personally, I feel WR should allow the smaller ball for the Women’s game. Having coached mini/midi/maxi rugby here for 5 years, I was appalled at the number of times folks encouraged 5 years olds to play with a size 5 ball. WTF moments.

There is a downside to the smaller size however.
    However, precedent also urges caution about racing to assumptions that the game would simply improve with a smaller ball.

It might mean a ball that is easier to handle for example, but this does not necessarily mean that, being lighter, the ball could be kicked or thrown further. The physics can get very complex but a lighter ball (a Size 5 ball is about 400gms, a size 4.5 might be 380gms) would have less inertia, thus making it harder to throw or kick the ball a long distance.
    Source: Scrumqueens

I like their conclusion, WR should get the finger out and conduct some trials.
    This suggests that the only way forward with this debate - which has been going on for a decade or more - would be a major pilot organised by World Rugby with transparent evidence and results.

There is another point to consider too. Many of those who strongly oppose a move like this have, justifiably, argued that comparing skills like passing or kicking with the men's game at the highest level is to compare apples with pears. Where professionalism bumps up against amateurism comparisons are often defunct.

Utill recently that argument has had much validity, however women's rugby is entering a new era - and in an era of professional these comparisons do become much more genuinely valid.

It is true that the World Cup was played to a high quality and as Giselle points out, the ball in play time was longer, however below test level, standards of passing and kicking are hugely varied. If this could help - why not find the evidence base and see?
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 01-02-18 at 10:02.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Thread Information