Thread: Ireland v France - HIA issue

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ireland v France - HIA issue

This incident potentially compromised the health of the player as it seems possible that they failed to provide a stretcher , in order to keep up the pretence that the primary reason he was going off was an HIA

If a medic gets into trouble , that is what it will be for .. not for ordering an HIA that turned out negative, but for failing to treat the knee properly , for non medical reasons

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    This incident potentially compromised the health of the player as it seems possible that they failed to provide a stretcher , in order to keep up the pretence that the primary reason he was going off was an HIA

If a medic gets into trouble , that is what it will be for .. not for ordering an HIA that turned out negative, but for failing to treat the knee properly , for non medical reasons
    Agreed.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    You've clearly never suffered a significant ligament injury. I've had a concussion and a ligament injury and I can assure you the ligament I just has had much more lasting consequences than the concussion.

I get the point you are trying to make, but be wary of such generalisations as they are not helpful to the arguments.
    The possible outcome of concussion , and it has happened is DEATH. How many ligament injuries have caused death? I take it you saw I used the word "possible" as not all concussions are in that catagory. I would also suggest that lasting brain damage int olater life is more serious than ligament damage. and yes I've had a few of those.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Personally, I don't like the interchanges idea. I believe that fitness - particularly with ever larger players - should be an important factor in the game and we're already seeing players who can't play more than 50 minutes.

Regarding HIAs: they're a mechanism to allow potentially concussed players back on, not to allow them to go off and my view is that they should work at elite level like they do in the sticks. If the ref suspects one (and if they've got assistants, even better) then the player is going off and not coming back on.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

They are also a mechanism for allowing a substituted player back on

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If you want players to play longer, cut down the number of substitutes.

With 5 on the bench (level 3), 2 of them are front row players - so quite often one front row player gets to play 80 minutes.
    Below that you only get 3 replacements - so most people play 80 minutes unless injured.
    It is only level 2 (semi-pro) where you get 7 and level 1 (fully-pro) you get 8.

Apparently the more time you get to train the less you are capable of playing 80 minutes.

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Danish Rugby Union
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This is obviously a tough topic, with no clear resolution. My 2 cents:

The problem that most people seem to have is that the current HIA system is capable of being abused (France) and that even with independent doctors, gamesmanship can still occur as they will always err on the side of caution wrt head injuries.

One solution that hasn't been mooted yet is the possibility of using independent doctors, and then in clear cases of gamesmanship docking points from the offending side after the match (both tournament points and IRB standing points). Obviously this system would not be perfect, but harsh penalties would makes sides question the value of using underhanded tactics, and abusing a necessary safety net which is in place for player safety.

This is my preferred solution, as it doesn't require too many changes which would affect the way the game is played at current wrt fitness &c.

I'm sure that others will disagree.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't see how anyone could ever be found guilty though .. if a player says he got a knock earlier in the game and later felt really strange .. then
    1 no amount of video can prove that he didn't (not until we have 30 camera to track every player )
    2 every doctor who was told that would .. quite rightly .. order an HIA

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Danish Rugby Union
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I don't see how anyone could ever be found guilty though .. if a player says he got a knock earlier in the game and later felt really strange .. then
    1 no amount of video can prove that he didn't (not until we have 30 camera to track every player )
    2 every doctor who was told that would .. quite rightly .. order an HIA
    Absolutely - I see the flaws with my proposal. However, if WR really does care about player safety, then perhaps 30 cameras to track every player is exactly what is needed? We already have the useless farce that is RefCam, why not this too...?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

CR has it in spades. Even if interchanges are used - you will still get a position where all the intechanges have been used up AND THEN somebody gets concussed. I am sure we would really REALLY hope not, but its clear they may THEN be pressure to NOT take the potentially concussed bloke off and play a man down; i think we'd be naive to say this could never happen.

So then HIAs would need to remain on top of the interchanges - and we are back to square one.

Bottom line - if it can be abused at some time it will be abused. Initially the injury replacement laws were abused (SA v NZ series some time in the 1990s ISTR in particular but i'm sure it was already common); then the blood bin abused (step forward Dean Richards). So its absolutely no surprise that HIAs will become abused.

didds

Thread Information