Thread: Studs

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Studs

Wouldn't reserve judgment based on that pic, that looms like someone's been over eager with the cropping tool to get sharp white images so the pics look good for the web. Similar boots but not on a white background look a lot rounder - http://www.prodirectrugby.com/produc...Main/17195.jpg

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Hi Alastair,
    A quick search of the forum archive, will turn such gems as
    Studs-again
    Pre-match inspection of boots, etc
    there are loads more, well worth a browse.
    Just reposted my comment above on the “Studs-Again” thread, hopefully to keep the discussion in fewer places.
    It is an ongoing problem though. I had Nike footy “spikes” again last week.
    Keep smiling!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    Wouldn't reserve judgment based on that pic, that looms like someone's been over eager with the cropping tool to get sharp white images so the pics look good for the web. Similar boots but not on a white background look a lot rounder - http://www.prodirectrugby.com/produc...Main/17195.jpg
    Hi Fish. The studs were actually exactly like that, as if they had been cut off at the tip. That is why I made the posting. I was astonished in the shop (easily appalled, I know!)
    Keep smiling!

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Hi Fish. The studs were actually exactly like that, as if they had been cut off at the tip. That is why I made the posting. I was astonished in the shop (easily appalled, I know!)
    Wow :-( Mental note to pay much more respect to the stud check next time out, which is U13 as it happens so likely to be more football boots than normal

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I had 4 or 5 players today with the Canterbury studs. I think it is reasonable to presume that these are OK for rugby and as long as the sole or studs are not damaged, I am going to let them play. If there is a problem it will be with Canterbury and not me.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    I had 4 or 5 players today with the Canterbury studs. I think it is reasonable to presume that these are OK for rugby and as long as the sole or studs are not damaged, I am going to let them play. If there is a problem it will be with Canterbury and not me.
    Sadly, whilst the Unions continue to put this monkey firmly on referees, liability stays with you.

(Whispers) - conspicuously there seemed to be no published investigation into this incident?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rug...wickenham.html

Anyone wish to bet on the likelihood of the studs that caused this injury being compliant with regulation ,or being able to pass the glance test ?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The person wearing the boot was Maro Itoje, I rather suspect he was wearing new or nearly new boots and he was, I believe, with Adidas. I think that Adidas would claim that all their boots are no more damaging that the standard stud - remember they were the ones to force change by challenging the then IRB about Predator blades and the FF50 stud at the front pattern.

I remain of the view that the ref is not responsible for whether the studs meet or not reg 12, but may be responsible if he did not notice, for example, a clearly dangerous nail or blade embedded in a pair of boots or a dangerous split to the sole. That not noticing would also need to be negligent, in other words not seeing something that an other reasonable referee would have expected to see.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

For (cynical) self protection
    1 do perform a stud check . It's in the law book
    2 do reject boots that seem dangerous
    3 never do anything to indicate to a third party that you are doubtful about a boot , unless you are actually rejecting it.

If worse comes to worse performing a boot inspection and, unfortunately, missing something is defensible
    Performing an inspection, noticing something, and letting the boot go on field anyway is a much harder proposition to defend yourself against

Aside .. why don't players care about studs ? When I was playing I would never wear dangerous studs, when I was coaching an age group we would never have let our boys on the field with dangerous studs
    Last edited by crossref; 14-02-18 at 19:02.

Thread Information