Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Replacement after penalty kick

      
  1. #1

    Referees in Italy
    cccref's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CN Arbitri Rugby
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    12 Dec 16
    Posts
    68
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Replacement after penalty kick

    Hi everyone,

    i was asked a question and got it wrong (i answered no, correct answer was yes)

    A team is assigned a penalty kick, can they do a replacement?

    Why i said no:

    Law 3:

    • NUMBERS

    • [...]
    • Replacements are made only when the ball is dead and only with the permission of the referee.
    • [...]

    Law 6:

    • The referee will deem the ball to be dead when:
      • The ball is in touch or touch in-goal.
      • The ball is grounded in in-goal.
      • A conversion has been attempted.
      • A try, penalty or dropped goal has been scored.
      • The ball or ball-carrier touches the dead-ball line or anything beyond it.
      • The ball hits anything above the playing area.

    I assumed that if there is a PK, ball is not dead.

    Why am I wrong?

    Thank you

  2. #2

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    Panel Match Observer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    497
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default Re: Replacement after penalty kick

    Quote Originally Posted by cccref View Post
    Hi everyone,

    i was asked a question and got it wrong (i answered no, correct answer was yes)

    A team is assigned a penalty kick, can they do a replacement?

    Why i said no:

    Law 3:

    • NUMBERS

    • [...]
    • Replacements are made only when the ball is dead and only with the permission of the referee.
    • [...]

    Law 6:

    • The referee will deem the ball to be dead when:
      • The ball is in touch or touch in-goal.
      • The ball is grounded in in-goal.
      • A conversion has been attempted.
      • A try, penalty or dropped goal has been scored.
      • The ball or ball-carrier touches the dead-ball line or anything beyond it.
      • The ball hits anything above the playing area.

    I assumed that if there is a PK, ball is not dead.

    Why am I wrong?

    Thank you
    Law clarification 2-2007 is the brief answer. There was a thread sometime ago that I raised to discuss it.

  3. #3

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    Panel Match Observer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    497
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default Re: Replacement after penalty kick

    Just out of interest, who asked the question in the first place and who provided the original answer for you?

  4. #4

    Promises to Referee in France
    L'irlandais's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Join Date
    11 May 10
    Posts
    3,448
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    130

    Default Re: Replacement after penalty kick

    It would be handy if you could provide a link to the quiz.
    Was it in Italian? As penalties are awarded rather than assigned.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

  5. #5

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    Panel Match Observer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    497
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default Re: Replacement after penalty kick

    We are in a rather messy situation with law book 2017 and 2018 running in tandem and as this forum points out there have been some confusing 'transfers' from one to the other. The Clarification I mentioned is easier to relate to 2017 than 2018.

  6. #6

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    Panel Match Observer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    497
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default Re: Replacement after penalty kick

    The definitions in 2018 still say that the ball is dead when the referee blows the whistle, which is not quite the same as inside the law book.

  7. #7

    Referees in England
    Balones's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Leics
    Grade
    Panel Match Observer
    Join Date
    24 Oct 06
    Posts
    497
    Thanks (Received)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default Re: Replacement after penalty kick

    Perhaps I shouldn't really open this 'old wound' on the forum but the Law 6 that you quote perhaps deals with and clarifies the situation where an advantage cannot be played.

  8. #8

    Referees in Italy
    cccref's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CN Arbitri Rugby
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    12 Dec 16
    Posts
    68
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Replacement after penalty kick

    Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    It would be handy if you could provide a link to the quiz.
    Was it in Italian? As penalties are awarded rather than assigned.
    Quiz is in italian and it was a Google Module i don't access any longer.
    Thank you for pointing awarded instead of assigned.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Just out of interest, who asked the question in the first place and who provided the original answer for you?
    my local instructor

  9. #9

    Referees in Italy
    cccref's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    CN Arbitri Rugby
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    12 Dec 16
    Posts
    68
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    7
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Replacement after penalty kick

    Quote Originally Posted by Balones View Post
    Perhaps I shouldn't really open this 'old wound' on the forum but the Law 6 that you quote perhaps deals with and clarifies the situation where an advantage cannot be played.
    Law 6.9 seems to be "standing alone".
    It just says when the ball is dead.

    Where an advantage cannot be played is clarified in 7.3


  10. #10

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    10
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    13,202
    Thanks (Received)
    80
    Likes (Received)
    1092

    Default Re: Replacement after penalty kick

    My understanding , and the way I do it is

    I award a PK to Blue
    1 Red cannot make a replacement
    2 Blue can make a replacement
    3 if Blue choose to make a replacement then so can Red
    4 if Blue choose to kick for goal then either team can make a replacement

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •