Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mistaken Charge at PK

Interesting parrallel with HSBC 7s where a "countdown" clock is now shown on the stadium screens when a try is scored. Once the try is scored the timer starts at 30 secs and the scoring team has until it hits zero to complete the conversion kick.

Sometimes a defending player will wander across the kicker's line and the ref will blow time off, admonish the wanderer, then blow time back on.

I wonder, in that instance, if the countdown clock should be reset to 30 and started again.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    Interesting parrallel with HSBC 7s where a "countdown" clock is now shown on the stadium screens when a try is scored. Once the try is scored the timer starts at 30 secs and the scoring team has until it hits zero to complete the conversion kick.

Sometimes a defending player will wander across the kicker's line and the ref will blow time off, admonish the wanderer, then blow time back on.

I wonder, in that instance, if the countdown clock should be reset to 30 and started again.
    It's more complicated than that though , if you are the losing team it's all very well getting 30s more to take the kick, the real problem is that you have lost 30s of playing time
    Last edited by crossref; 1 Week Ago at 22:02.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I cant quite believe how hung up you're getting over the time. Ref is sole judge and time is off and on many times during a game and it's unlikely anyones else's time keeping will replicate the refs (even the ground clock if there is one). It's not a precise measure. I dont know about you but probaby 90% of the time the ball is in play after my time is expired and play has continued for minutes afterwards! Ive never had a coach come up to me and say "you stopped the game too early...we had 30 more seconds!!"

(Though i have had a complaint about pulling up 5 mins early. ....and thats cause I mistakenly applied a different league grade time based on 35min halves instead of 40mins....oops )
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

All of that is generally true , but in this particular instance it wasn't true , I explained why above .. close game and ref had given a time check when he gave the original PK.

Which is what makes it, I think, an interesting scenario.

Which you havent addressed.. you didn't actually commit yourself and say whether you would stop your watch or not .. would you ?
    Last edited by crossref; 1 Week Ago at 08:02.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

For me that's easy...no...cause in my parts unless you're doing 1st grade(and I dont yet) then there is no time off (no injury).

But if it was a game with time off I would probably call time off to chat with the charger and point out the error in his ways. Id ask the kicker if he was set to go. And then I'd time on and play the game out. That's my leaning for the most empathetic approach.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well, you have very strong opinions about managing time , for someone who has never had to manage time.

You can waffle a lot about it, but at the end of the day its binary ... your watch is either on or it's off

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Well, you have very strong opinions about managing time , for someone who has never had to manage time.

You can waffle a lot about it, but at the end of the day its binary ... your watch is either on or it's off
    Wow. Interesting response. Yeah Im sure youve never held an opinion on something you've never experienced.

Sorry I was a little disengenious in my previous response as I have had many games with managing time on and off (before a local rule change to some leagues made them fixed times and injury time applies in finals series). My point was more about your focus on being precise about time to the second when in reality time keeping is simply not that accurate when it comes to ending the game.
    Perhaps I don't stress on it as much as you and dont find it complex or difficult when to time off and time on when at the end of the game there is so many factors that can affect the actual playing time.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I am not stressed on it, nor obsessed.
    But it just happens to be on of the things this particular thread is about

In this scenario the difference isn't a few immaterial seconds it's the difference between restarting with 90s to go, or 30s to go , in a 2 point game

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It's more complicated than that though , if you are the losing team it's all very well getting 30s more to take the kick, the real problem is that you have lost 30s of playing time
    I am not stressed on it, nor obsessed.
    But it just happens to be on of the things this particular thread is about

In this scenario the difference isn't a few immaterial seconds it's the difference between restarting with 90s to go, or 30s to go , in a 2 point game
    With 8 of your posts in this thread pressing on points about the time on or off...excuse me for thinking you were over focussed on the time as a critical part of the decision.

Im not trying to have a p!ss!ng contest with you over this. But i dont think the answer you were seeking is black and white (imo) and it comes under the empathy basket. But you obviously saw the game and had a sense that the ref that made the call unfairly affected one side and that's fair enough. I dont think 30/60 seconds here and there is so important even in a close game near the end of time. Too much can happen. As long as the ball got back into play then both teams had their chances to dictate the outcome.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't actually know if the original ref stopped his watch or not!

Thread Information