Thread: Tmo farce

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tmo farce

I think Rolland shoots from the hip, and he too easily hangs his officials out to dry

Did he really make an error of Law or did he make a judgement too quickly and make an error of fact

Had Rolland told all the TMO at the beginning of the 6N that he didn't want a repeat of the autumn internationals and they should make decisions much more quickly (because I think that is what we are seeing )
    Last edited by crossref; 13-02-18 at 19:02.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The game has 'progressed' to the point where sometimes a 'qualified' persons sits and reviews tv screens/replays & then makes a decision above the referee.

That's it, that's the decision. Game values = Respect whatever decision is made & move on.

I suspect Welsh have had the benefit of marginal stuff from time to time. I hope they take their revenge out on the Paddy's.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    The referee agreed with the TMO.
    The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law.

So the decision is correct.

I can't believe a group of referees are having a go at the officials when they can't even agree amongst themselves what the decision should have been.
    Especially 3 days after the fact when the TMO has about 2-3 minutes to make a decision.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    The referee agreed with the TMO.
    The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law.

So the decision is correct.

I can't believe a group of referees are having a go at the officials when they can't even agree amongst themselves what the decision should have been.
    the issue for me is TMO appears to take only a cursory interest in the potential knock on near the touchline. Like he was in a hurry to get a decision made or something. From referral to decision was < 1 minute.
    Last edited by Dickie E; 13-02-18 at 23:02.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    the issue for me is TMO appears to take only a cursory interest in the potential knock on near the touchline. Like he was in a hurry to get a decision made or something. From referral to decision was < 1 minute.
    This is on the nose .. the whole decision felt strangely rushed. I do wonder if the TMOs have been told to be quick about it

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Ref'd social games only
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Strange how World Rugby has commented on this decision but as I understand it the NZRFU are still waiting on feedback from WR on the contentious penalty no penalty in the 3rd Lions encounter
    I tried to download the new Band-Aid song to support the fundraising to fight Ebola but my anti-virus program wouldn't let me

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dixpat View Post
    Strange how World Rugby has commented on this decision but as I understand it the NZRFU are still waiting on feedback from WR on the contentious penalty no penalty in the 3rd Lions encounter
    I think the way they have worded the 2018 laws makes it clear they think the pk was correct

9.17. A player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the
    ground.
    Last edited by crossref; 14-02-18 at 08:02.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Eddie Jones nails it
    Jones expressed his concern with World Rugby passing judgment on decisions retrospectively and highlighted the fact the governing body has a history of undermining its officials. During the 2015 World Cup World Rugby admitted the referee Craig -Joubert was wrong to award Australia a crucial last-gasp penalty in their quarter-final victory over Scotland.

Jones said: “I just think once the game’s done and dusted that’s the game, you can’t have retrospective refereeing of decisions being done. We’ve got to trust the referees, respect their integrity. When I say respect the referee, that’s the TV process as well, and then you leave it at that. One side’s won, one side’s lost.

“In Japan they have a great saying: at full-time there’s no side. That’s one of the traditions of rugby, you get on with it, you respect that decision. If you haven’t got the rub of the green, then you know you probably get it in the next couple of games. I think I have made myself very clear. The TMO did an excellent job.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

He says its over and done with and it is time to move on yet he comments on the TMO and enters the debate. Lets put aside Jones' hypocricy for a minute. Let's be fair ALL coaches would be bleating on about this. They als o moan when it is they who suffer and say "such is life " when they gain.

For me the principle is that post match evaluation of officials - just the same as players - must take place. BUT the employer should not allow performace revies to go outside the door. If it felt that an apology is due, then that should be made only on the strict understanding that the "wronged party, in this case Wales, do not publish it.

After all ther is a context issue. What did AR say?

1; Total balls up boys it was a try it is as simple as that!

2; Well on the question asked he should have given the try. BUT if the right question had been asked the knock on would have meant no try any way! So wrong question but right outcome.

or something else.

We don't have the context of the reply as, no doubt Wales will pot a positive spin on the comment. As no doubt England would have has it been the other way round.

Doong your washing in public is rarely a good idea.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 14-02-18 at 09:02.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I think the way they have worded the 2018 laws makes it clear they think the pk was correct

9.17. A player must not tackle, charge, pull, push or grasp an opponent whose feet are off the
    ground.
    Yeah, agree CR. Admission via the back door maybe.

Though the problem here is that running players mainly have both feet off the floor during the action of running.

So technically and pedantically speaking many normal tackles should in theory be a PK. (obvs it won;t be because refs are sensible beings!)

didds

Thread Information