Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bloody Creepers!!

I haven't posted here for a while, but the Super Rugby season has just started; we are into round four next week. I have been seeing something happening that is beginning to really annoy me, so time to vent!

I am talking about "creepers", tackled players that crawl or creep forward, roll over forward (sometimes twice or more) or jump forward to a new position, and all after going to ground with the ball. I am sure this action is illegal

Law 14: Tackle
    7. Tackled players must immediately:
    a. Make the ball available so that play can continue by releasing, passing or pushing
    the ball in any direction except forward. They may place the ball in any direction.
    b. Move away from the ball or get up.
    c. Ensure that they do not lie on, over or near the ball to prevent opposition players
    from gaining possession of it.

I see nothing in there about players being able to do anything other than release, pass, push or place the ball, which they must do immediately. If they creep, roll or jump forward, that is the action they have done immediately, which means they have not immediately done any of the allowed actions. PK for not releasing IMO.

I am also sure it is being coached, and I think I know why

1. Players are able to gain metres of ground that they were unable to gain before they were tackled. In a game of narrow margins, the ground they are gaining by rolling forward can be the difference between making or not making the advantage line.

2. In order for an arriving player to turn over the ball by taking it from the tackled player, the arriving player has to get his timing almost perfect. By rolling into the arriving player's legs. not only does the tackled player bugger up the arriving player's timing, but there is also a chance they will bump the legs of the arriving player, causing him to lose balance, and have to put a hand down to maintain it, thereby eliminating that arriving player as a turnover threat.

I was wondering if any of you active referees have seen this at grass roots. I think this technique needs to be stopped.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bloody Creepers!!

Definitely agree, oddly at grassroots I think I saw more of this last season than this one.
    At pro level rugby it's definitely a thing

In England Scotland we saw Courtney Lawes roll too far, and get himself isolated and giving away a PK ..

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Pisses me off too Iain.

I've yet to see it but somebody somewhere muddy have rolled to score in this manner.

Didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have noted something of this in recent weeks but would hesitate to suggest it is a trend.

just wondering if it is a by-product of tactics where fewer players are committing themselves to the breakdown.

If you can gain a few more feet because you have just the tackler on you then, you are likely to have your own team moving with the momentum and are more likely to retain the ball?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I noticed in my last game however remarkably it stopped after one serial roller gave away a PK for not releasing.
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I've certainly heard players discussing it, if not implementing, at my level, mostly to buy them more time for their support players to get in and clear out as it disrupts the jackler

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Ftr I've seen this happening for at least two years at grass roots, from youth upwards. In some cases it's been coached, in others it's the players learning it from TV rugby.

Didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes I see it at Level 8 here.
    I think they mainly do it because if they are rolling the jackler can't get a grip on the ball, so it buys them time for support to arrive.

I warn once and then PK.

I allow them to roll once to present the ball back if they are facing the wrong way (so a half roll really), but more than that is "failing to release".

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I heard it coached last season. The coach said "you can do this, they'll never blow for it." I said "Oh really?" :P

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Yes I see it at Level 8 here.
    I think they mainly do it because if they are rolling the jackler can't get a grip on the ball, so it buys them time for support to arrive.

I warn once and then PK.

I allow them to roll once to present the ball back if they are facing the wrong way (so a half roll really), but more than that is "failing to release".
    For me - they need better bloody contact skills.

I'm not saying Phil's approach is wrong.

didds

Thread Information