Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: uncontested maul restart

Quote Originally Posted by DocY View Post
    I'm sure I remember a discussion when it was decided that transferring the ball to a team mate should fall under "passing"
    surely not? Otherwise a standard lineout based maul would have the ball leaving the lineout and the 10m offsides disappearing as soon as the catcher relieved the ball to the first clearer/mauler. Which clearly is not what is reffed by anybody. Not in any games I watch anyway.

didds

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think that powers that be frown on the tactic , they won't want to make it more attractive by allowing players to come round looking like offside

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    surely not? Otherwise a standard lineout based maul would have the ball leaving the lineout and the 10m offsides disappearing as soon as the catcher relieved the ball to the first clearer/mauler. Which clearly is not what is reffed by anybody. Not in any games I watch anyway.

didds
    Sorry, I was meaning only the no-maul scenario.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I really can't believe the LO Maul non-contest tactic is still a thing. The counter to it is so easy. If the opponents do not contest your intended maul, keep ball at front, advance until contested and maul forms, or until try is scored.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I found what I was looking for. It is in our GMGs:

Teams deciding not to engage the maul at lineout
    • If the defenders in the line out choose to not engage the line out drive by leaving the line out as a
    group, then PK to attacking team.
    • If the defenders in the line out choose to not engage the line out drive by simply opening up a gap and
    creating space, and not leaving the line out, the following process should be followed:
    o The attacking team would need to keep the ball with the front player if they were to drive downfield
    (therefore play on, general play - defenders could either engage to form a maul, or tackle
    the ball carrier.)
    o If the attacking team immediately passes the ball back to a player behind the front player or at
    the rear of the group, the referee would tell them to "Use it" which they must do immediately.
    o If the team drives forward with the ball at the back (and ignores the referee’s call to “Use it”), the
    referee should award a scrum to the defending team for "accidental offside" (rather than PK for
    obstruction).
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    I really can't believe the LO Maul non-contest tactic is still a thing. The counter to it is so easy. If the opponents do not contest your intended maul, keep ball at front, advance until contested and maul forms, or until try is scored.
    Indeed.
    Teams have to be quick witted enough to realise what the oppo are doing , quickly enough to not get caught out, but once that is cracked ... Exactly as you say, and I have seen teams who have done it

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thepercy View Post
    Unlikely to work that way. For that to work the decision maker has to be the man at teh front, and I think that's won't work because of the immediacy of the ball rip.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    The first defending player to then contact the front of the formation would cause me to blow for offensive offside.

I wouldn't consider this situation to be accidental on the part of the attacking side. They are contriving a situation as regards second guessing the defending side being prepared to contest the situation.

It's a tactic I am sure we all have our own opinion on.

You should play the situation in front you.
    BUT

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E
    As stated RFU guidance is that if the ball is at the back and the opposition don't bind on to form a maul, then we shout "Use it". If they start to move forward without using it, Scrum for accidental offside.

The opposition cannot come round and tackle the ball carrier at the back because the ball hasn't left the lineout, so the would be tackler is offside.

I have seen different interpretations outside of RFU land.
    We have the same interpretation in Wales. To be honest I thought there was a clarification confirming this but I can't find it.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Unlikely to work that way. For that to work the decision maker has to be the man at teh front, and I think that's won't work because of the immediacy of the ball rip.
    And the bit in bold is why the offence is accidental and not full blown obstruction. (FK and not PK) the transfer is almost inmmediate and instinctive. It tends tohappen, almost, in anticipation of the other side binding and forming a maul. A I understand it the call of "use it" was introduced to avoid a gotcha offence. It was, I think I recall, felt that a full PK was harsh as it was more technical than anything else.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    ACTRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    I found what I was looking for. It is in our GMGs:
    But this has been in for 2 years Dickie - hasn't it???

What did you do last year!
    Tell em it's Law 23 and smile

Thread Information