Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: New Ruck Law

      
  1. #1
    URBA - Rugby Referee diegux's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    URBA - (Buenos Aires Rugby Union)
    Grade
    Elite Panel
    Join Date
    18 Jul 17
    Posts
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default New Ruck Law

    Hello, according to the new ruck law... after a tackle, if the tackler gets on their feet (of course from his side too) and then stands over the ball... is a ruck formed ?... or the ruck will be formed always by a 3rd arriving player ?

  2. #2

    Referees in Ireland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    25 May 16
    Posts
    391
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default Re: New Ruck Law

    Hi diegux .
    Good question & welcome .

    If you google allain rolland ruck video ,,you might find it helpfull .
    The answer to your question from me is yes .
    And therefore a minimum of 1 person is all that is now needed to form a ruck .
    As such making off side lines from his hind foot for his team mates .
    And basically from his fore most body part being either his foremost foot ( as he has stepped over ball )or head creating off side line For opposition players ..

  3. #3
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    390
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    58

    Default Re: New Ruck Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post

    And therefore a minimum of 1 person is all that is now needed to form a ruck .
    As such making off side lines from his hind foot for his team mates .
    And basically from his fore most body part being either his foremost foot ( as he has stepped over ball )or head creating off side line For opposition players ..
    When you refer to the standing player creating OS lines with the parts of the body as described....are you presuming the tackled player has moved away?

  4. #4

    Referees in Ireland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    25 May 16
    Posts
    391
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default Re: New Ruck Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Decorily View Post
    When you refer to the standing player creating OS lines with the parts of the body as described....are you presuming the tackled player has moved away?
    Yes thats correct .

  5. #5

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    10
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    14,075
    Thanks (Received)
    92
    Likes (Received)
    1250

    Default Re: New Ruck Law

    Quote Originally Posted by diegux View Post
    Hello, according to the new ruck law... after a tackle, if the tackler gets on their feet (of course from his side too) and then stands over the ball... is a ruck formed ?... or the ruck will be formed always by a 3rd arriving player ?
    This Law is such a mess
    The best way to think about it is that it's not a ruck , but a tackle with offside lines.

    What's the difference? Well if there is one person standing there over the ball, on his own , then it seems to me that the next person to arrive (through the gate) can pick up the ball .. which he couldn't do if it was a ruck

  6. #6
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    390
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    58

    Default Re: New Ruck Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Yes thats correct .
    Fair enough....might be worthwhile clarifying for the original questioner that the tackled player (depending on their body position /placement) can also affect the OS lines.

  7. #7
    Coach/Referee

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    03 May 13
    Posts
    390
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    58

    Default Re: New Ruck Law

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    This Law is such a mess
    The best way to think about it is that it's not a ruck , but a tackle with offside lines.

    What's the difference? Well if there is one person standing there over the ball, on his own , then it seems to me that the next person to arrive (through the gate) can pick up the ball .. which he couldn't do if it was a ruck
    I don't believe there is a difference.
    A ruck is a ruck!

    Edit..... In law now it IS a ruck!

  8. #8

    Referees in Ireland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    25 May 16
    Posts
    391
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default Re: New Ruck Law

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    This Law is such a mess
    The best way to think about it is that it's not a ruck , but a tackle with offside lines.

    What's the difference? Well if there is one person standing there over the ball, on his own , then it seems to me that the next person to arrive (through the gate) can pick up the ball .. which he couldn't do if it was a ruck
    I agree cross , that its refereed as tackle with off side lines ( this will stop the italian job )
    But to clarify where you say , the next person to arrive through gate ,,can pick up the ball ..

    For me , He cant do that , as it would be hands in the ruck .
    He can now legally bind on player who created 1 man ruck & push him off same ..

    Or am i reading your post wrong ..

  9. #9

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    10
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    14,075
    Thanks (Received)
    92
    Likes (Received)
    1250

    Default Re: New Ruck Law

    Well ..
    Let's say
    .. the ball is on the ground,
    ..there is one red player standing over the ball.

    the next player to arrive picks the ball up ?

    Pk for handling in the ruck ?

  10. #10

    Referees in Ireland


    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Join Date
    25 May 16
    Posts
    391
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default Re: New Ruck Law

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Well ..
    Let's say
    .. the ball is on the ground,
    ..there is one red player standing over the ball.

    the next player to arrive picks the ball up ?

    Pk for handling in the ruck ?
    Question ..when you say next player to arrive and pick up ball ,,do you mean team mate or opposition ..
    Im guessing you mean opposition ..

    Remember , the question was following a tackle ,,
    So you can only have a mono ruck ( 1 man ruck at a tackle situation )
    So for that situation , yes its a penalty .if opposition player picks up ball .

    Now , if we are in open play , ball kicked down field by team red 7 .
    If another player from team red let's say red 12 is next to ball ( providing he came from an on side position ) and simply steps over the ball , once ball has stopped rolling ..
    Well then there is no mono ruck ,,its still open play .

    So if blue 7 was to simply pick up ball , from any angle & lets just say red 12 just stands there.
    This is also play on , as no ruck has formed . .

    Are we confusing each other here ,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •