Thread: New Ruck Law

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Ruck Law

Indeed, but I feel sure we also had cascaded something along the lines of #11

But perhaps I am misremembering

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the forum, diegux. You may have noticed that the conversation wanders a bit so let's return to your original post:

Quote Originally Posted by diegux View Post
    Hello, according to the new ruck law... after a tackle, if the tackler gets on their feet (of course from his side too) and then stands over the ball... is a ruck formed ?... or the ruck will be formed always by a 3rd arriving player ?
    After a tackle the tackler must release and clear the area (roll away) and he can no longer attempt to play the ball from his side of the tackle. He may come around to his side of the ball to make a play for the ball. At this point he is just an 'arriving player'. If he simply stands over the ball then he has formed a ruck and offside lines apply. In this forum we refer to this as a "monoruck".

In the usual run of things this isn't the end of the story and things can get a bit complicated.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Indeed, but I feel sure we also had cascaded something along the lines of #11

But perhaps I am misremembering
    If that is the case I don't have any record of it in my 2017 law trials folder.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Welcome to the forum, diegux. You may have noticed that the conversation wanders a bit so let's return to your original post:

After a tackle the tackler must release and clear the area (roll away) and he can no longer attempt to play the ball from his side of the tackle. He may come around to his side of the ball to make a play for the ball. At this point he is just an 'arriving player'. If he simply stands over the ball then he has formed a ruck and offside lines apply. In this forum we refer to this as a "monoruck".

In the usual run of things this isn't the end of the story and things can get a bit complicated.
    Is the bit in bold a typo?
    His side of the tackle is the only place he can play from?

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I took that to mean "where he is lying after the tackle " and assuming he was oppo side of the ball.

didds

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yes and yes, Phil E and didds. I meant that doesn't have the old tackler's privilege of going for the ball from the ops side.

Soc/Assoc
    URBA - (Buenos Aires Rugby Union)
    Grade
    Elite Panel
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you ChrisR, and thanks all falks too.
    This was my first post, I didn´t expect it to be so successful.

Of course the situation where a tackler gets on his feet and forms a monoruck does not happen very often, in that case I would say that the tackler will try to pick up the ball (on his feet and side, of course) instead of forming a monoruck.

Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Kent
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    What do i NOW coach my U14s on Sunday?
    Tackle low ?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    Crossref, the guidance notes for the Amended Ruck, Law Trial suggest you can't pick it up.

World Rugby Global Law Trials (GLTs)

Law 16: Amended Ruck Law
    A ruck commences when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground (tackled player, tackler). At this point the offside line is created. A player on their feet may use their hands to pick up the ball as long as this is immediate. As soon as an opposition player arrives no hands can be used.

Guidance Notes:
    The “one man” ruck only applies after a tackle and that normal ruck law applies to all other situations e.g. player voluntarily going to ground, ball on ground in open play etc. The offside line is formed when a player from either team arrive over the ball.

Does this new law prohibit jackaling after opponent arrives?
    What I mean is: Let's suppose that a strong player like Pocock(blue) is a tackle assist, he released the tackled player(red) and pulled the ball, but the tackler didn't let go of it. While they were both pulling, red player came to clean out the ruck but was unsuccessful.

Before the new GLT, Pocock could handle the ball since he is on his feet and held the ball before the ruck is formed. Does the new GLT require Pocock to release it?

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nylluma View Post
    Does this new law prohibit jackaling after opponent arrives?
    What I mean is: Let's suppose that a strong player like Pocock(blue) is a tackle assist, he released the tackled player(red) and pulled the ball, but the tackler didn't let go of it. While they were both pulling, red player came to clean out the ruck but was unsuccessful.

Before the new GLT, Pocock could handle the ball since he is on his feet and held the ball before the ruck is formed. Does the new GLT require Pocock to release it?
    No.......

Thread Information