Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 56

Thread: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

      
  1. #41
    Rugby Club Member Rich_NL's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Join Date
    13 Apr 15
    Posts
    725
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Received)
    160

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    I disagree.

    If it's unclear who has won the ball, the advantage goes to the team going forward, not the team that would have won the scrum if it had been clear.

    Otherwise you're denying one team an opportunity for contest.

  2. #42
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    MADREFS
    Grade
    Level 10
    Join Date
    26 Feb 18
    Posts
    12
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    The inconsistency I observe between international referees is their treatment of the tackler. Often it is the tacklers presence (having not rolled away quickly enough) that prevent the attacking side clearing out the opposition player who is attempting a turnover - I would say that Barnes and Peyper (is it a N/S Hemisphere thing?) refereed that differently at the weekend - no inconsistency in their own games.
    As a relatively new referee I was taught that the sequence is
    Tackler release and move away then
    Tackled player play/place the ball...
    International standard players have an ability to tackle and end up on the floor on the attacking side - deliberately slowing the ball down and improving the odds of their turnover - I would penalise that more often.

  3. #43

    Referees in Scotland
    Pinky's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    09 Apr 10
    Posts
    1,271
    Thanks (Received)
    10
    Likes (Received)
    128

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    I thought WB had a pretty good game - he was clear with most of his explanations and seemed to ref the breakdown equally - he rightly pinged Denton for repeatedly rolling into the 9's way.

    As for the third try, you need to remember that this was the act of scoring a try, so you don't look at it as you would if it had happened in the field of play. Undoubtedly there the ball would have been lost forward, but in goal as soon as it touched the ground the try is scored and as long as he has not lost contact with it before the grounding (and I don't think he had) then the try is good.

    A couple of issues though about decisions - both against Scotland, but that is not a complaint as they have only themselves or Ireland to blame for the result.

    Fourth try, was green 16 off his feet before he dived over the line? Its in the highlinghts

    And knock on by Scotland as Gilchrist(I think) reached for the line and the ball was grabbed by Irish defender - two things was the defender off his feet? If so ? PK to Scotland, and if not did he not take it in goal and ground it so Scrum 5 to Scotland - I don't think there was a KO.

  4. #44
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    28 Feb 17
    Posts
    984
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    99
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    I thought WB had a pretty good game - he was clear with most of his explanations and seemed to ref the breakdown equally - he rightly pinged Denton for repeatedly rolling into the 9's way.

    As for the third try, you need to remember that this was the act of scoring a try, so you don't look at it as you would if it had happened in the field of play. Undoubtedly there the ball would have been lost forward, but in goal as soon as it touched the ground the try is scored and as long as he has not lost contact with it before the grounding (and I don't think he had) then the try is good.

    A couple of issues though about decisions - both against Scotland, but that is not a complaint as they have only themselves or Ireland to blame for the result.

    Fourth try, was green 16 off his feet before he dived over the line? Its in the highlinghts

    And knock on by Scotland as Gilchrist(I think) reached for the line and the ball was grabbed by Irish defender - two things was the defender off his feet? If so ? PK to Scotland, and if not did he not take it in goal and ground it so Scrum 5 to Scotland - I don't think there was a KO.
    I do agree that 16 was off his feet and effectively propelled himself to the line without regaining his feet. It wasn't momentum. No argument from any?

    In a game last season NO allowed CM's try (remember that thread?) as he propelled himself forward because he said the ball had passed the plane of goal before he did so.

    I could have easily seen myself disallowing it.

  5. #45
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Join Date
    18 Oct 11
    Posts
    310
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    27

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    42:14 to 42:34

    ITV coverage here: https://www.itv.com/hub/six-nations-...ip/2a4295a0020

    Probably geo-fenced to UK. Needs a log in and forces you to 'watch' adverts before you can start watching.
    Thanks for the link. (Lots of ads before you can get to it!)

    So... green kick ahead in open play, two players (one green, one blue) catch the ball at the same time, and are wrestling for it as they go to ground. Ball becomes unplayable. Decision: attacking scrum. Correct decision?

    If you listen to the chat on ref-mic as the teams are getting ready for the scrum, blue (defending) says "but I called a mark", to which WB says "you can't call a mark if you're both holding on to it" or words to that effect!

  6. #46

    Referees in Scotland
    Richard smith's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    midlands society SRU
    Grade
    Level 9
    Join Date
    07 Feb 12
    Posts
    148
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post

    Fourth try, was green 16 off his feet before he dived over the line? Its in the highlinghts

    .
    Having watched the 4th Irish try, in SLO-MO, several times this would appear to be the case.
    OPINIONS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN
    As a human I do not confess to knowing everything!!

    The Soccer staduim is 500yds that way
    Nigel Owens

  7. #47
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Join Date
    10 Dec 15
    Posts
    1,695
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    380

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard smith View Post
    Having watched the 4th Irish try, in SLO-MO, several times this would appear to be the case.
    He was certainly off his feet. To my mind the question was whether he'd been tackled and held. And if so, was the tackle legal.

    But if you're having to check something in slow mo to see an infringement, it's hardly clear and obvious.

  8. #48

    Referees in England
    Phil E's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    8
    Join Date
    22 Jan 08
    Posts
    14,533
    Thanks (Received)
    114
    Likes (Received)
    1013
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by davidlandy View Post
    So... green kick ahead in open play, two players (one green, one blue) catch the ball at the same time, and are wrestling for it as they go to ground. Ball becomes unplayable. Decision: attacking scrum. Correct decision?
    Yes correct. Law says:

    The team last moving forward. If neither team was moving forward, the attacking team.


    Definitions: Attacking team: The opposition to the team in whose half play is taking place.


    If you listen to the chat on ref-mic as the teams are getting ready for the scrum, blue (defending) says "but I called a mark", to which WB says "you can't call a mark if you're both holding on to it" or words to that effect!
    To call the mark it must be a clean catch. If they both catch it together it isn't clean.

    Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref


  9. #49
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Join Date
    08 Mar 11
    Posts
    1,243
    Thanks (Received)
    18
    Likes (Received)
    185

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    Good point, though that does create an interesting corner case.

    If you can determine who caught it first, no matter which team catches it -it becomes a Blue ball.
    If you cannot determine who caught it, for example because you were unsighted, it is attacking ball - in this case Green.

    So the outcome depends on the observer - how quantum.


    BTW I think I have found a mistake in the laws
    In the table at law 19
    An unplayable maul after kick in open play. | In the scrum zone at the point nearest to place of maul. | The team in possession at the start of the maul.
    But in law 21 it states this applies only after an opponents kick.

    On the question of a clean catch, had Blue got their hands on the ball first, and then Green contested I think I would count it as a clean catch - but I am not sure how close the contest could be before I would not.

  10. #50
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Join Date
    18 Oct 11
    Posts
    310
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    27

    Default Re: Wayne Barnes Ire V Sco 2018 6 Nations

    Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    If you can determine who caught it first, no matter which team catches it -it becomes a Blue ball.
    Camquin, I'm loving your quantum idea...

    But, it does matter which team catches it the kick, because an unplayable maul after a kick in open play results in a scrum to the team in possession at the start of the maul, ie the side which caught the ball. (Thanks Phil E.)

    (Interestingly, as an aside, I notice that it doesn't matter whether the opponents manage to wrestle the ball from their grasp during the maul.)

    It's also possible that in this case WB decided there was no maul formed, and it was simply an unplayable tackle or ruck, or "a scrum for any other reason", in either case the put-in would go to the side going forward (none in this case) or the attacking team (green), which is what he awarded.

    http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=19&language=EN

    I really hope this doesn't scupper your quantum theory as it's such a lovely idea.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •