Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default "Use it"

The laws say the referee should call "use it" when the ball is at the number 8's feet, but since the beginning of this season the laws have also said that the 8 can pick the ball up if he can reach it (though admittedly that's how it has been refereed for years.)

So - can the referee call "use it" if the ball stays resolutely at the second rows' feet?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: "Use it"

I don't see why not.
    The whole point of "use it" is for when play stagnates.
    This would seem like a prime example.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Law 19
    26. When the scrum is stationary and the ball has been available at the back of the scrum for three-five seconds, the referee calls “use it”. The team must then play the ball out of the scrum immediately. Sanction: Scrum.
    In my book the ball is not available at the back of the scrum if it is still in the second row.
    Keep smiling!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    In my book the ball is not available at the back of the scrum if it is still in the second row.
    But they can now play the ball from that position so they 'can' use it. No 8 or SH can pick it up from there.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil E View Post
    I don't see why not.
    The whole point of "use it" is for when play stagnates.
    This would seem like a prime example.
    That was my thinking, but recently saw a referee leave the ball there for far longer than I would have expected and used the justification that it wasn't at the 8's feet. Maybe he liked refereeing scrums!

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'd love a change in the law to reduce the amount of time available after you call 'use it' or remove a time reference completely and allow referee judgement. So annoying when the game slows to a crawl because S/Hs use all available time ruck after ruck after ruck. Even if I call Use it quickly (or if you're NO "yooouse") then it can still be several seconds per ruck with the ball just sat available at the base while everyone lines up and waits. Snooooooooze.

I suppose I should thankful for a rest but I'd rather get the game going quicker.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post
    I'd love a change in the law to reduce the amount of time available after you call 'use it' or remove a time reference completely and allow referee judgement. So annoying when the game slows to a crawl because S/Hs use all available time ruck after ruck after ruck. Even if I call Use it quickly (or if you're NO "yooouse") then it can still be several seconds per ruck with the ball just sat available at the base while everyone lines up and waits. Snooooooooze.

I suppose I should thankful for a rest but I'd rather get the game going quicker.
    Its the players game though. If they like to play slow boring rugby then that's their prerogative.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra1922 View Post

and some in the past have expressed a view that if you have won the ball, you should be afforded time to set up the next phase of play to your best advantage. Not a fan myself.

Thread Information