Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Help with this law ?

      
  1. #31

    Referees in Wales
    Taff's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Join Date
    23 Aug 09
    Posts
    6,898
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    330

    Default Re: Help with this law ?

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    That's exactly what happened to us Marc! (See above)
    Sounds like a brain-fart to me. I reckon the Ref boobed.

  2. #32
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,259
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    258

    Default Re: Help with this law ?

    Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    That's exactly what happened to us Marc! (See above)
    A clear law error. Unless he saw it differently to you. Mind youone ref here thinks he was right. So perhaps we have that ref on board.

    THe idea that the other teams actions can default yours is tosh. There is even an example to "disprove" it in the KO law. If the ball does not go 10 the non offending side can accept the kick and play on. - NOT advantage. They play the ball and thr offence "goes away". If the logic of The call that an opponent can catch a ball a centimetre too soon at a line out makes it a n offence by the thrower, surely the same logic would see receivers attempting to touch kick offs before they travel 10 to create offences by the kick. Total nonsense!
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 01-04-18 at 12:04.

  3. #33
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Join Date
    28 Feb 17
    Posts
    1,033
    Thanks (Received)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    104
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help with this law ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wakeham View Post
    A clear law error. Unless he saw it differently to you. Mind youone ref here thinks he was right. So perhaps we have that ref on board.

    THe idea that the other teams actions can default yours is tosh. There is even an example to "disprove" it in the KO law. If the ball does not go 10 the non offending side can accept the kick and play on. - NOT advantage. They play the ball and thr offence "goes away". If the logic of The call that an opponent can catch a ball a centimetre too soon at a line out makes it a n offence by the thrower, surely the same logic would see receivers attempting to touch kick offs before they travel 10 to create offences by the kick. Total nonsense!
    No. I actually said incorrect throw in, not fk.



    • The ball must:
      • Be thrown in straight along the mark of touch; and
      • Reach the five-metre line before it hits the ground or is played.[COLOR=#2A3D83 !important]Sanction: [/COLOR][COLOR=#2A3D83 !important]Option of lineout or scrum. If the lineout is chosen and the ball is again not thrown straight, a scrum is awarded to the team that originally threw
      • in the ball.[/COLOR]


    No differentiation as to which team plays it before it reaches 5m.


    In hindsight a fk is possibly an option that it would better to write into the laws. Your own side doing it, t/o ball as would be the case for an incorrect throw in but under the sanction of a free kick. The other side does it, it's also free kick to you and you don't lose possession as would seem equitable. But a free kick in both cases and the right outcome perhaps and proportional to the actual infringement, i.e don't prevent the ball from going 5m.

    And consistent with the sanction applicable under the 2017 laws for blocking a qti.

    So yes the current law book is the nonsense don't you think?
    Last edited by ChuckieB; 01-04-18 at 12:04.

  4. #34

    Referees in Wales
    Taff's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Join Date
    23 Aug 09
    Posts
    6,898
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    330

    Default Re: Help with this law ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    ... So yes the current law book is the nonsense don't you think?
    I don't think it is Chuckie.

    The different sanctions refer to different players.

    • The FK sanction refers to players in the LO - regardless of which team.
    • The LO / Scrum option is in the " THROWING INTO A LINEOUT" section which applies to the thrower - usually the Hooker.

    This isn't difficult gents.

  5. #35

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    16,957
    Thanks (Received)
    131
    Likes (Received)
    1624

    Default Re: Help with this law ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I don't think it is Chuckie.

    The different sanctions refer to different players.

    • The FK sanction refers to players in the LO - regardless of which team.
    • The LO / Scrum option is in the " THROWING INTO A LINEOUT" section which applies to the thrower - usually the Hooker.

    This isn't difficult gents.
    No .. this is not correct . .see post #23

  6. #36

    Resident Club Coach
    didds's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Join Date
    27 Jan 04
    Posts
    9,517
    Thanks (Received)
    58
    Likes (Received)
    883

    Default Re: Help with this law ?

    FTR I had "a chat" with said ref at half time.

    He saw the error of his ways.

    FTR he had said that he had penalised us for the oppositions actions, as WE had not get the ball 5m!


    This is an example of a set of howlers I've experienced/seen, or read here, where I have to question how anybody that had been involved with the game can ever believe.

  7. #37
    Rugby Club Member

    Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Join Date
    05 Jan 18
    Posts
    1,259
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    258

    Default Re: Help with this law ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckieB View Post
    No. I actually said incorrect throw in, not fk.



    • The ball must:
      • Be thrown in straight along the mark of touch; and
      • Reach the five-metre line before it hits the ground or is played.[COLOR=#2A3D83 !important]Sanction: [/COLOR][COLOR=#2A3D83 !important]Option of lineout or scrum. If the lineout is chosen and the ball is again not thrown straight, a scrum is awarded to the team that originally threw
      • in the ball.[/COLOR]



    No differentiation as to which team plays it before it reaches 5m.


    In hindsight a fk is possibly an option that it would better to write into the laws. Your own side doing it, t/o ball as would be the case for an incorrect throw in but under the sanction of a free kick. The other side does it, it's also free kick to you and you don't lose possession as would seem equitable. But a free kick in both cases and the right outcome perhaps and proportional to the actual infringement, i.e don't prevent the ball from going 5m.

    And consistent with the sanction applicable under the 2017 laws for blocking a qti.

    So yes the current law book is the nonsense don't you think?
    Oh dear me. We are having a problem here. Please use common sense.

  8. #38

    Referees in Wales
    Taff's Avatar

    Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Join Date
    23 Aug 09
    Posts
    6,898
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    330

    Default Re: Help with this law ?

    Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    .... Scenario - ball is thrown in, and a player catches it 4m out
    QTI --
    19.2(e) says it's an incorrect throw, and scrum awarded the non-throwing team
    How can it be an "incorrect throw" if a player in the LO goes into the 5m channel to intercept it?

    Imagine the best LO throw to the front of the line in history (one Bobby Windsor himself would be proud of) and imagine an opponent steps into the 5m channel before the ball has gone beyond him and grabs the ball at 4m. Are you seriously saying that is an "incorrect throw" and the sanction is the option of a LO / Scrum?

  9. #39

    Referees in England


    Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Join Date
    14 Sep 09
    Posts
    16,957
    Thanks (Received)
    131
    Likes (Received)
    1624

    Default Re: Help with this law ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    How can it be an "incorrect throw" if a player in the LO goes into the 5m channel to intercept it?

    Imagine the best LO throw to the front of the line in history (one Bobby Windsor himself would be proud of) and imagine an opponent steps into the 5m channel before the ball has gone beyond him and grabs the ball at 4m. Are you seriously saying that is an "incorrect throw" and the sanction is the option of a LO / Scrum?
    No - see post 27 - I would always give a FK, for blocking the throw.

    The only problem I now have is that the offence of blocking the throw at a lineout has been removed from the 2018 Law Book.
    Surely an error!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •