Thread: Is a one armed tackle legal?

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Is a one armed tackle legal?

In the instance of a player going for a tackle, if they swing 1 arm towards the player with the ball and manage to grasp that player such that the player goes to ground, is that legal even if the other arm is by their side doing nothing?

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Is a one armed tackle legal?

Back in the 80s I used to play against a one armed hooker...

didds

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe I should rephrase the question. For players with 2 arms, is a one armed tackle legal where there has been no attempt to wrap with the other arm?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Assuming it is not high and they wrap with the arm they lead with, I would say legal but poor technique.

If they lead with a shoulder and wrap with the other it is still a shoulder charge - so dangerous.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by blep View Post
    Maybe I should rephrase the question. For players with 2 arms, is a one armed tackle legal where there has been no attempt to wrap with the other arm?
    IMO, it depends.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a one arm tackle (I'm sure Gavin Henson picked up Matthew Tait under one arm and you regularly see tackles where the tackler has just grabbed a handful of shirt), but that doesn't mean there definitely legal.

I'd pay particular attention to leading with the shoulder - it's much easier to lead with the shoulder while making the pretence of wrapping if you're only using one arm.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

blep, welcome to the forum.

REQUIREMENTS FOR A TACKLE
    1. For a tackle to occur, the ball-carrier is held and brought to ground by one or more
    opponents.
    2. Being brought to ground means that the ball-carrier is lying, sitting or has at least one
    knee on the ground or on another player who is on the ground.
    3. Being held means that a tackler must continue holding the ball-carrier until the ballcarrier
    is on the ground.

No mention of technique for the tackle, so we have to look at the foul play laws to see if a one arm tackle is illegal. The relavant parts are.

DANGEROUS PLAY
    13. A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling
    includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the
    line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.
    16. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without
    attempting to grasp that player.

The tackle we are talking about (from your description) isn't early late or dangerous.
    It's not a charge because the opponent 'did' attempt to grasp the player.

So the only conclusion we can make is that it is legal, but possibly poor technique. It should be noted that this happens a hundred times every match and isn't penalised. Ball carrier side steps the would be tackler, who sticks one arm out to try and prevent the ball carrier getting past him. As long as it's not dangerous...play on.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In the instance of a player going for a tackle, if they swing 1 arm towards the player with the ball and manage to grasp that player such that the player goes to ground, is that legal even if the other arm is by their side doing nothing?
    This is the key part. The tackler must grasp, or attempt to. No mention of the number of arms. We often here the term wrap when we should be saying grasp.

Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, perfectly legal.

It's only foul play if there was no genuine attempt to grasp, AND s/he charged or knocked down the BC.

incidentally, you can legally charge or knock down the BC opponent provided you were attempting to grasp him [or can convince the referee that you were !]

Thread Information