Thread: Quick restart kicks

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Quick restart kicks

We were at a U12 round-robin series of matches, full contact but with no conversion kicks (no posts on the pitch in question but you make do with what you have). One team have been coached that as soon as they concede a try, they get the ball to the team rocket to sprint back to midway and quickly hoof a restart kick. Sometimes it works and they crash over for a try, sometimes the teams have enough players back to hold it up but are usually now defending deep in their own 22.

Their coach is adamant this is legal and 'showing initiative'; the sole authority of law and fact is allowing it.

We won in the end, but I've always thought (and coached) that you can't do this, that you have to wait until the opposition is in place before restarting. Re-reading the 2018 LOTG last night regarding Kick-off and restart kicks, laws 12.2 to 12.10 are all under the banner "Kick-Offs and Restart Kicks Following A Score" and 12.5 has
    5. When the ball is kicked:
    a. Team-mates of the kicker must be behind the ball. Sanction: Scrum.
    b. Opposition players must be on or behind the 10-metre line. Sanction: The kick is retaken.
    To my reading this is crystal clear - unless the wording explicitly refers to the kick-off this section applies equally to both Restarts and Kick-Off, and you cannot restart until all the scoring team on the field of play have returned on or behind their 10m.

However, looking way back through the mists of time to last year the 2017 LOTG has the 10m requirement under "13.4 Position of the Opposing Team at a Kick-Off" - so no explicit mention of the restart kick.

My understanding was that the 2018 was less of a revision of laws but more a clarification and simplification, and so to my 2 questions:
    1) Am I correct in asserting that under the current LOTG you cannot restart until all opposition players are on or behind their 10m? (And if they decide to take a little too long getting back in position - well I guess that's why we have 9.7d "A player must not: Waste time."
    2) Was this ever a legal tactic and something I should have been coaching alongside QTI, etc?

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Quick restart kicks

Hi volun .
    Sounds to me the other coach is a bit of a d### head .
    U 12 means the kids are 11 years old .
    Its should be coached & played with kids having fun .

If he was only kidding in a fun way for kids ,,thats ok.
    But if he had to be heard & i know best mantra ,,then he is a d### head ..

Well done for taking time to coach kids rugby ,,they will remember these days for ever
    Last edited by Christy; 1 Week Ago at 19:06.

Referees in America

Soc/Assoc
    New York State Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I think your point #1 is correct, but you have to play to the referee on the day and what they allow. So, I would make sure I got my team back, and took advantage of their unorganized defense after the kick, and maybe do a little 9.7.d myself and deny the opposition the ball until my team was set up.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I wholeheartedly agree with posts 1 and 2
    .. the OP is completely correct , while there was some ambiguity in the old Laws, in the 2018 Law Book there is no room for doubt, 12.5 nails it

- and yes, that coach is being a dick

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree with posts 1 and 2
    .. the OP is completely correct , while there was some ambiguity in the old Laws, in the 2018 Law Book there is no room for doubt, 12.5 nails it

- and yes, that coach is being a dick
    although, it's a also a great example of someone who having been told that no Laws have changed, naturally persists with his understanding of the ambiguity present in the old Laws.

When 12.5 is pointed out to him, it's entirely possible he will continue to ignore it, on the same grounds

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the feedback and confirmation that I'm not off the mark. I'm assuming for now that the other coach is unaware of the new version - I suspect he hasn't read the rules since he did his course a while back. For next time we play I will have a quiet word with the printout to hand. If he persists then I may just instruct my team that the try scorer hoof the ball into the parking lot so the team has plenty of time.

One good thing out of this is I'm probably going to take my ref course next year (next time it's in my area). Not only should it increase the pool of youth refs we have but it can only help with the coaching.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It certainly does help with the coaching, I found it a massive help on that front.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Volun-selected View Post
    If he persists then I may just instruct my team that the try scorer hoof the ball into the parking lot so the team has plenty of time.
    He may get pinged for that. Tell the try scorer to unhurriedly carry the ball back to half-way with him.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Two points.

First, as everyone else has stated, the opposition have to be behind their 10m line before the kick can take place (or equivilant for U12). So they can't go quick as described......and It's not showing initiative, its gamifying the laws.

Second, I notice you are in the US. In the UK the U12 regulations say that the team who concedes has the option of kicking or receiving after a try. The referee asks them what they would like. So at U12 in the UK this can't happen until the referee has asked the question, which he wont do until both teams are ready.

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    although, it's a also a great example of someone who having been told that no Laws have changed, naturally persists with his understanding of the ambiguity present in the old Laws.

When 12.5 is pointed out to him, it's entirely possible he will continue to ignore it, on the same grounds

2017 indicates the defence has to be behind the 10 mtr line at a kick off. There was, as you say, ambiguity. Along came the 2018 book which CLARIFIED and did not "change" anything. The whole point of the new book!
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 1 Week Ago at 12:06.

Thread Information