Thread: More experiment s

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: More experiment s

How do they work with HIAs ? If the ref shows a blue card does that mean there cannot be an HIA ?

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    How do they work with HIAs ? If the ref shows a blue card does that mean there cannot be an HIA ?
    my understanding is that blue card is for club rugby (ie community level) and is replaced by HIA once you get into super rugby & above (ie elite level).
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Surely if France is moving to interchanges, while a player cabn go off for a HIA the player coming is just an interchange.
    Ad the HIA is formal the union should already be informed and can verify the records for the graduated return to play.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    my understanding is that blue card is for club rugby (ie community level) and is replaced by HIA once you get into super rugby & above (ie elite level).
    But this article is about introduce blue cards to French and NZ elite levels ...

Promises to Referee in France

Soc/Assoc
    CT Alsace-Lorraine
    Grade
    EdR + LCA
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    My understanding of the Top 14 variation on the Blue card, is that it means that player’s return to play protocol beings there and then. That is no need for a HIA on the sidelines, his day is finished, as there is sufficient cause to believe he has suffered a head injury. No medical opinion required, early shower and work out how many weeks off you have in the morning. Which is what Dr Barry O’ Driscoll has been asking for from WR for many years. (I may well have misunderstood.).
    World Rugby guidelines state a player should be removed from the field of play if there is even a suspicion they have lost consciousness.
    No wiggle room there, no mention of «*except if the team doctor gets the correct answers to his magic questions.*». The HIA has been (mis)used in Pro rugby as a means to return to play players that we have seen video evidence of their KO. Miraculously a few magic questions on the sideline and they are fit to return to the field of play. Clubs have been subsequently fined for such abuse.
    Last edited by L'irlandais; 11-07-18 at 18:07.
    "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."
    John Henry Newman

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the blue card rules out an HIA assisted return to the game, I am definitely in favour of it, and trust referees would be brave enough to use it.

Indeed it would bring elite rugby in to line with the more exacting standards we have at grass roots level where players ordered off by the ref most certainly can't come back on to pitch later

Thread Information