Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default New age grade Law Variations trial in Scotland

New age grade Law Variations are being introduced in Scotland as a trial this season.
    These are much simplified and, I believe,bring Scottish rugbymore in line with the rest of the UK in terms of line out lifting and competition. No maul at U14 is also a change.

I know there was a previous thread where National AGLVs were posted. I have searched but I cannot find it.

Link to page on SRU website
    http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18...law-variations

Link to AGLV trials
    http://www.scottishrugby.org/sites/d...ls_2018-19.pdf
    Keep smiling!

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Waikato
    Grade
    Colts/lower grade seniors
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New age grade Law Variations trial in Scotland

The U14 laws seem very restrictive to my eyes. They have tackling at waist and below only, uncontested lineouts and no mauls.

I don't think that is helpful in preparing players to play at higher grades.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It also, to me, does not chime with what 14 year olds want to get out of rugby.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm intrigued by "no maul" stuff... I can see how it wold be asy enough to implement at a lineout where the set up is somewhat static, but in open play how does a player caught upright transfer the ball if his arms are trapped etc - must he just let go of it?

ta

didds

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Waikato
    Grade
    Colts/lower grade seniors
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

To expand upon my earlier post, I think the U14 rules in particular are well intentioned but will have a detrimental effect. I fear that these rules will reduce injuries at the U14 level but increase them when players move to U15 and open level grades.

In my view, players at 13 and 14 should be learning the game so that they develop proper technique and give their bodies the ability to withstand the rigors of rugby. By denying tackles above the waist, lifting in lineout, mails and proper scrums, I fear these players will be I'll equipped to handle the higher grades when players are bigger, stronger and faster.

I feel like this could result in more injuries and less able rugby players in the U15 - U18 levels.
    "There is far too much talk about good ball and bad ball. In my opinion, good ball is when you have possession and bad ball is when the opposition have it." - Dick Jeeps

Soc/Assoc
    NRB
    Grade
    IRB level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Lifting is a fairly isolated, static skill: I don't think starting at 15 is going to increase any injuries. The rest are dynamic skills and I'd agree.

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't really have a view to a no maul idea for U14s - its more a logistical "concern" as to how it actually works in reality that intrigues me. However, wrt lifting (historically) in England this didn't occur until U16 - and I didn't perceive any issues with moving onwards from that once basic techniques were learned in early U16 year. TBH, lineouts in my view at age groups are pretty much a shambles anyway and its long been a bug bear of mine. For perhaps some understandable reasons many coaches seemed unclear/scared to coach them particularly or training time never got enough time to deal with them. I lost count of the number of times as an invited coach with a youth squad I'd ask eg an U14 squad what they lineout calls and basic strategies were to be met with a blank look, or "we just throw it in and try and catch it where it lands". That's not a dig ant any coaches - its just what we have/had. There would be no point in introducing lifting to a squad that has no basic systems - these type of lineouts don;t have throwers that can throw straight, weighted, to jumpers that JUMP, let alone time the two together.

Of late, in England, lineouts at youth have undergone a bit of a change - now uncontested lifting is allowed at U15 following U14 uncontested non lifting. I'm not convinced U14 non contested lifted lineouts do actually achieve much wrt development - I see/saw a lot of throwing to a non jumper catcher TBH, or a jumper that hardly gets off the ground. [ * what it does do is get the game flowing so as a restart it is a success, not getting bogged down in a morass of sloppy lineouts ending up up as scrummages which end up as FKs which end up as lineouts while the other 6 backs stand around watching, as was not untypical at U13 a few years ago.]

I'd be really interested in hearing the experiences of Welsh coaches (for example) where AIUI lifting has been allowed from U13 onwards [ a reason the RFU regs didn't provide for this was a belief that U13s didn't have the body strength to lift anybody safely etc - Wales would presumably disprove that ].

So in short, Im not peronally of the belief that non lifting until U15 etc is detrimental to that skill/technaiue. I am however of the belief that requisite skjills such as throwing and jumping are at best glossed over and at worst deliberately ignored until the mid teen years, when all of a sudden many single skills are suddenl;y required to make one system now work smoothly.

didds

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In Wales, U13 lineouts are uncotested with lifting being allowed. The idea being they develop the lifting skill without the concern of the contest. I don't ref a lot of Age grade stuff these days in Wales but I understand that some choose not to lift However, I understand it works quite well overall.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

We live on a small and crowded island, it's ridiculous that English , Welsh and Scottish children play different Laws. ...

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

2 x NGBs - 3 x viewpoints.

How much cross border competition actually occurs?

Do we have the same "concerns" over east Kent clubs versus North West France clubs - does that happen more/less than West Country/Wales, North/Scottish Borders?

didds

Thread Information