Player or Coach

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    ELRA/Mini/Midi
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New age grade Law Variations trial in Scotland

I'm just about to move up to coaching/refereeing U13s as my lad moves and we have played in a lot of the larger tournaments against Welsh sides, my Club being in the Home Counties.
    Material and Contextual!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My son's team played Welsh sides, on tour and at tournaments

Moderator Attention - New Usergroup Required

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by didds View Post
    Good points CR.

Bottom line however is that wrt the RFU's insurers at least, the requirement is for coaches etc to follow the AG regs.

RFU AG regs don't permit lifted lineouts until U15. (notwithstanding one off differences as per the above)

the crux here is whether the insurers (Marsh?) have decided that lifted lineouts below U15 are not an item they wish to insure, or whether its the RFU that have decreed no such lifting. which still binds coaches etc to those regs etc. wrt what is covered or not ie whether they may get chased etc.

So whatever the reasons for the REFU not allowing lifting below U15 its either/or/both

* RFU don't want it
    * Insurers don't want it.

didds
    When I ref (Age group rugby) in England, my WRU kinsurance does not cover me and I am licensed to referee WRU only. THe English structure insures me as a "club" referee. So, as far as my liability and the players I am covered.

I would imagine that eour clubs coming here would be covered under the WRU confirmation of the tour being under its insurance rather than the RFU's cover. I would imagring the RFU merely wishes to see the confirmation that the WRU are covering the tour.

As far as English refs are concerned you are not covered under WRU cover to ref in Wales (obviously this is not including the higher level appointments) and offers to referee should be declined unless you have something in writing from the English system to say that you are covered.)

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

in reality it's more complex than that.

welsh children playing rugby in Wales will be covered by the WRU's catastrophic injury insurance, even if there is a rogue English ref in charge. That's the whole point of insurance : it covers them for all injuries, including those caused by negligent or rogue officials.

Now, having said that, the club who appointed him may well be laying themselves open to an action for making such a negligent appointment etc etc -- but the kids with the catastrophic injury will be get their payout.

(Rider -- of course Marc is quite correct to say that an English ref should get himself properly appointed if was invited to ref in Wales. The RFU have a permission to ref abroad form, and you'd want that, and you'd want to be on board with the WRU as well. I am not advcocating taking any risks or short cuts. It's just that when people say 'not covered' the situation in reality is more complicated)

Thread Information