Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: when is the ball in goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Christy View Post
    Hi jolly .
    The laws you have pasted have now been amended & brought into law.
    If you havent already ,,down load the world rugby laws app .

Under the laws section ,,some are still the old laws .
    Even under the text of smaller law book . ( this im sure will change when next season book comes out )
    But there is also a law section showing laws 2018 ammendments . ( we all need to read these laws & take them on board where applicable )
    Just for the sake of clarity the laws and definition that I quoted were copied and pasted directly from the WR LotG App.
    Are you saying that the Laws section of the App has not been updated with the recently adopted Law amedments? If so which ones?
    All of the amendments that I have looked at have been incorporated into the Law section.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger; 09-08-18 at 22:08.
    Keep smiling!

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Just for the sake of clarity the laws and definition that I quoted were copied and pasted directly from the WR LotG App.
    Are you saying that the Laws section of the App has not been updated with the recently adopted Law amedments? If so which ones?
    All of the amendments that I have looked at have been incorporated into the Law section.
    This is no longer the law.
    Pasted from your previous post

15. If a player who is on or beyond the dead-ball line or who is in touch-in-goal, picks up a moving ball within in-goal, that player is not deemed to have made the ball dead.

( HE IS NOW DEEMED TO OF MADE BALL DEAD ,,WHERE AS BEFORE THIS PLAYER COULD OF BEEN AWARDED SCRUM BACK FROM WHERE IT WAS KICKED ,,HE NOW WILL BE AWARDED 22 DROP OUT ONLY )
    Go back to the app , dont click on the laws .
    But look below & im sure its titled law ammendments / similar .

All the amendments are there .
    Hope this helps

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Midlands - MDRURS
    Grade
    SRU Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Jolly, Christy is right. While it appears they have updated the laws section for virtually all of the new May 2018 amends, they appear to have messed up their edits to Law 21.

Here is an excerpt from the May 2018 Amends section in the app:

IMG_0048.jpg

whereas in the Laws section, it shows this:

IMG_0049.jpg

As you can see it appears they made most of the edits correctly, but they forgot to amend the text of the newly numbered 21.15.
    Last edited by Jason R; 09-08-18 at 23:08.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

They didn't adopt the Law Trials verbatim . . The new laws were slightly different from those actually trialled

It's another case where the press release is misleading

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

15. If a player who is on or beyond the dead-ball line or who is in touch-in-goal, picks up a moving ball within in-goal, that player is not deemed to have made the ball dead.

I initially had a double take when I read that text before posting but what is being stated here is that a player PICKING UP THE BALL has not made it dead. In other words a player can pick up a ball on the ground in-goal and play on.

This is a separate issue from picking up the ball within in-goal or outside of in-goal and then touching it down.
    Keep smiling!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post

No.

I disagree with the highlighted....

... the TMO looked at it but did not call it in. I thought there was a clear gap between the ball and the goal-line.

I agree, it was a brain fart by Jantjies.
    Here and on other forums there are people who disagree with you and feel it should have gone to the TMO as neither the ref nor the ARs were in a position to see. The fact that the TMO didn't call it is meaningless, he also didn't call the Saders player attempting to kick the ball out of Jantjies's hand when he stretched to "score"

Referees in Ireland

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Level 1
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post

I initially had a double take when I read that text before posting but what is being stated here is that a player PICKING UP THE BALL has not made it dead. In other words a player can pick up a ball on the ground in-goal and play on.

This is a separate issue from picking up the ball within in-goal or outside of in-goal and then touching it down.
    He has , if he has a foot on or over dead ball line & touch in goal line .

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_Cook View Post
    Since the Clarification specifically states "...the touch definitions (Law 19) will also apply to the dead ball line and to the goal line"...then I read that as them inferring there is indeed a "plane of goal".
    I think that inference is unnecessary and creates judgement difficulties that are best avoided.

... the TMO looked at it but did not call it in. I thought there was a clear gap between the ball and the goal-line.

I agree, it was a brain fart by Jantjies.
    Yes.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    I think that inference is unnecessary and creates judgement difficulties that are best avoided.

you haven't addressed my #23 which requires a plane of goal line
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Referees in New Zealand

Soc/Assoc
    Retired player and referee
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baylion View Post
    Here and on other forums there are people who disagree with you and feel it should have gone to the TMO as neither the ref nor the ARs were in a position to see. The fact that the TMO didn't call it is meaningless
    The view from behind the dead ball line line shows clear separation between ball and goal line.

I can confirm that the TMO DID look at it and was happy that AG got the call right.

Quote Originally Posted by Baylion View Post
    he also didn't call the Saders player attempting to kick the ball out of Jantjies's hand when he stretched to "score"
    Well actually he did. If you listen during TMO review at 46:47 on the game clock, you hear the last part of the TMO saying "... he kicked the ball", and AG replying "he didn't, he didn't" (which is correct, because the player missed the ball). Its moot in any case, AG was already playing advantage for offside by 4 Red.
    "Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed"
    - Jay "Utah" Windley

Thread Information