Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Law 18.12. Teams form the lineout without delay. Sanction: Free-kick. How Long, How f

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Cumbria Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Law 18.12. Teams form the lineout without delay. Sanction: Free-kick. How Long, How f

Came up in a preseason game and in hindsight I think I allowed home team too long.
    Virtually every Line out there was a huddle at least 10 M back, they clearly called numbers so that was never an issue but in retrospect it seemed to take and age.
    Team walked up while hooker ran up to mark, stopped about 2 M off mark, Team walk in, Line set and away we go

How long is without Delay?
    In general I don't have a problem with the pre huddle but where should it occur and how long.
    What strategies do others use to hurry it up?
    Would be interested in hearing thoughts.
    quite frankly it was boring for me, the opposition and spectators.
    Ciaran Trainor

Slowing down these days

Soc/Assoc
    London Society
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Law 18.12. Teams form the lineout without delay. Sanction: Free-kick. How Long, H

Yep. Seen this a lot when a team is ahead with only a few minutes left.
    If it really feels like taking the p, then I usually shout out loud "without undue delay, fellas !" which usually speeds them up a bit.
    Next , I escalate to a warning "You're taking too long, chaps. Next time, you are risking a FK against you".
    If that really has no effect, then they cannot really complain when you FK them for "undue delay" right ?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Law 18.12. Teams form the lineout without delay. Sanction: Free-kick. How Long, H

I saw the opposite last season whenever Black took a penalty to touch the black hooker would be in touch in front of the hooker. he woudl ten collect a ball from the ball boy and trot to the line of touch. Yes he was offside, but he was speeding up the game. Fortunately none of the kicks missed touch.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Camquin View Post
    I saw the opposite last season whenever Black took a penalty to touch the black hooker would be in touch in front of the hooker. he woudl ten collect a ball from the ball boy and trot to the line of touch. Yes he was offside, but he was speeding up the game. Fortunately none of the kicks missed touch.
    Would you let him take a QTI ?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CrouchTPEngage View Post
    Yep. Seen this a lot when a team is ahead with only a few minutes left.
    If it really feels like taking the p, then I usually shout out loud "without undue delay, fellas !" which usually speeds them up a bit.
    Next , I escalate to a warning "You're taking too long, chaps. Next time, you are risking a FK against you".
    If that really has no effect, then they cannot really complain when you FK them for "undue delay" right ?
    Another tool is to stop the clock, so that the tactic doesn't work .. no time is wasted (as well asking telling FK them)

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If the defence have enough time to form their line, then the offence are at risk of pissing about and getting warned.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh - ERRS
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If a team creates a huddle before forming the lineout they are by definition of creating a huddle delaying forming the lineout. It may be unreasonable to take that pedantic approach to law interpretation but it does give referees the authority to intervene as soon as a huddle is formed.

I am not a fan of the huddle and if I am getting irritated and the opposition is getting irritated then that is delaying formation of the lineout. All the players need to do is communicate a couple of codes which can just as easily be called whilst walking up to the LOT.

In a game with a large and vocal crowd then perhaps it is necessary to communicate the call in a huddle rather than in a line (not the case many of my matches).

I agree with CTPE and Crossref but would add that I also don’t tolerate defending teams in the linout calling out crap to disguise the linout call. I have on a number of occasions stopped the game and threatened to penalise the defending team for conduct against the spirit of good sportsmanship. (Law 9.26). Followed by 7 bemused faces but invariably results in silence.
    Keep smiling!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

As a rule of thumb I wouldn't recommend a referee references 9.26 on the pitch , unless for something very serious for which there really is no alternative. (I struggle to think of a realistic example)

Bad sportsmanship is too subjective. I wouldn't want to quote it unless in a situation where I really knew that all the players would agree

Quoting 9.26

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Staffordshire and Royal Navy
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctrainor View Post
    quite frankly it was boring for me, the opposition and spectators.
    If you are getting bored then its clearly too long.

Ask...hurry it up please fellas
    Tell...Guys you need to form the line now!
    Penalise...Peep, too slow..you've been warned

Follow my Award Winning blog The Rugby Ref

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Kent
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Would you let him take a QTI ?
    Last year I played in between Christmas and New Year within-club friendly. After about 50 minutes, when the initial enthusiasm had worn off, we had a penalty and kicked to touch. I managed to get there first (OK, all enthusiasm had worn off with the opposition) and I took a QTI (with the same ball) to an unopposed team mate who cantered in under the posts. Reffed called us back disallowing the QTI. Much disgruntlement and under breath harrumphing from me and explicit outrage in the bar afterwards (it was a club ref and a mate) as the team mate who 'scored' was my boy!

Thread Information