Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Law 18.12. Teams form the lineout without delay. Sanction: Free-kick. How Long, How f

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Law 18.12. Teams form the lineout without delay. Sanction: Free-kick. How Long, H

That feels right for the game.
    But if it was a competitive game it would be interesting. I have never seen a qti after a PK . My feeling is that it's legal, but probably accidentally legal , in the sense they never thought of it. If we ever see teams using it as a ploy they'd probably ban it

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Law 18.12. Teams form the lineout without delay. Sanction: Free-kick. How Long, H

I certainly wouldn't disallow it as is. There's nothing in the law book to say to do so, it keeps the game moving, and it's hardly unfair - the defenders start at the very least 10m closer to the line of touch than the kicker's team!

Besides the obvious time to reset the defence, there may be an advantage to trundling back slowly to a mandatory lineout for defenders, if they're either in the lead or waiting for the sin bin clock to expire. The trend is not to favour the defending team, or breaking continuity...

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well, if I was doing it as a ploy it would close to the oppo goal line and I would kick it directly into touch in line with the PK , where a team mate would be ready with a qti

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    That feels right for the game.
    But if it was a competitive game it would be interesting. I have never seen a qti after a PK . My feeling is that it's legal, but probably accidentally legal , in the sense they never thought of it. If we ever see teams using it as a ploy they'd probably ban it
    didn;t we have a discussion about sopmethig similar in the Maoris v BL match a couple of years ago ? I cant recall the specifics now?

didds

Soc/Assoc
    None
    Grade
    Select Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The only problem with this is:

Law 20 Penalty and Free Kicks

10. Other than the placer at a place-kick, the kicker’s team must remain behind the ball until it has been kicked.

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Well, if I was doing it as a ploy it would close to the oppo goal line and I would kick it directly into touch in line with the PK , where a team mate would be ready with a qti
    So it's like a quick tap and go... except less quick, you have one teammate out of the FoP throwing in, and the opposition have time to move up?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NL View Post
    So it's like a quick tap and go... except less quick, you have one teammate out of the FoP throwing in, and the opposition have time to move up?
    But unlike a tap and go

1 the opposition think you have kicked it out for a lineout so aren't paying attention, and are taken by surprise and
    2 the QTI can be thrown to some moving at considerable speed

Soc/Assoc
    Rugby Nederland
    Grade
    WR level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So can a quick tap, now that "cavalry charge" has been clarified I can see point 1 is an advantage, but point 2 is more than cancelled out by the defence moving up, IMO.

So should we protect teams from not paying attention to the opponent's options, then?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

No!
    I think in the right circumstances (<10m from oppo line , everyone is expecting a kick to touch for an attacking lineout) it would work like a dream and you would have a try.

(Simple tap and go doesn't 'work in that situation as oppo are always alert to that possibility)

I think that WR would ban it though

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie View Post
    Last year I played in between Christmas and New Year within-club friendly. After about 50 minutes, when the initial enthusiasm had worn off, we had a penalty and kicked to touch. I managed to get there first (OK, all enthusiasm had worn off with the opposition) and I took a QTI (with the same ball) to an unopposed team mate who cantered in under the posts. Reffed called us back disallowing the QTI. Much disgruntlement and under breath harrumphing from me and explicit outrage in the bar afterwards (it was a club ref and a mate) as the team mate who 'scored' was my boy!
    Internal “Club friendly” = Spot on call
    Proper match? Only questions are: “Were all the requirements for a QTI met? And: “Was the thrower-in behind the kicker and thus compliant wit the PK law?”) I can’t see from the OP that they were not so play on!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    The only problem with this is:

Law 20 Penalty and Free Kicks

10. Other than the placer at a place-kick, the kicker’s team must remain behind the ball until it has been kicked.
    Nothting to say that he was not in the OP so it would appeat a moot point here.

But unlike a tap and go

1 the opposition think you have kicked it out for a lineout so aren't paying attention, and are taken by surprise and
    2 the QTI can be thrown to some moving at considerable speed
    Tough! Let the offender be aware!

So can a quick tap, now that "cavalry charge" has been clarified [IMG]file:///C:/Users/user/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png[/IMG]I can see point 1 is an advantage, but point 2 is more than cancelled out by the defence moving up, IMO.

So should we protect teams from not paying attention to the opponent's options, then?
    No way!

No!
    I think in the right circumstances (<10m from oppo line , everyone is expecting a kick to touch for an attacking lineout) it would work like a dream and you would have a try.

(Simple tap and go doesn't 'work in that situation as oppo are always alert to that possibility)

I think that WR would ban it though
    If WR ban it in future THEN we change. Until then, it matters not what they may do next year or whenever.

Thread Information