Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Know the tournament laws

An interesting incident here. Neither the referee or the players knowing what would happen in the event of a draw!
    So make sure you know the rules of the competition you're reffing.

Could have been interesting if the referee had not checked and assumed there was supposed to be extra time!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/bizarre-end-welsh-rugby-final-16193164

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Know the tournament laws

I hate it when questions like this crop up and the standard answer is "The rules are online".

The problem is that EVERYTHING is online and the stuff you actually want is lost amongst the dross. This is 2019 - why can't a link to all competition rules be put in the adverts, Facebook events notifications, e-mailed to all concerned etc? In fairness perhaps they were sent out, but the secretary didn't read them.

To be fair, when I was involved with a Final a couple of years ago, the WRU did e-mail us the competition rules in advance with a separate explanation what would happen in the event of a draw. It's good to see people being proactive.
    Last edited by Taff; 29-04-19 at 09:04.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I hate it when questions like this crop up and the standard answer is "The rules are online".

The problem is that EVERYTHING is online and the stuff you actually want is lost amongst the dross. This is 2019 - why can't a link to all competition rules be put in the adverts, Facebook events notifications, e-mailed to all concerned etc? In fairness perhaps they were sent out, but the secretary didn't read them.

To be fair, when I was involved with a Final a couple of years ago, the WRU did e-mail us the competition rules in advance with a separate explanation what would happen in the event of a draw. It's good to see people being proactive.
    My society has the rules for local cup competitions on its website with a special referee summary. There are some things he needs to know (what to do in the event of a draw) and some he doesn't (eligibility of players). When appointed to a cup game the referee should look them up.

Otherwise, there are plenty of people with smartphones these days, and ample time to check if the situation arises. Moreover we aim to have a committee member present who should have a copy of the rules.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like heaven, I will have reffed 4 different comps come Sunday, each with a different set of regs, rules, and different websites. None of which were signposted to me, and in one case I had to ask on Twitter!

This Sunday is a Junior cup final, where potentially there is no outright winner - assuming I googled correctly

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    East Midlands
    Grade
    Level 6
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Finding competition rules can, in my experience, be a nightmare. Various Competitions run by the same Society can often have different sets of regulations.

As a default I now use the standard regulations in the RFU handbook.

FWIW I dod raise this very issue with our Society representative as even trying to get results is a nightmare
    --------------------

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=691560798

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf" Native American Proverb

Vanillaisforicecream

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My recent cup game reached 22-22 with 5 minutes to go.

I asked the AR via comms to ask some Society/Committee bods on the touchline what was the countback in the event of a draw. I got the message back and it all appeared well planned.

I had asked for the rules to be sent to me but they never arrived before the game.

Neither of the teams knew so I arguably could have said "loudest fart wins" and they'd probably have gone with that.
    Along came Lou with old baboon and said I recognise that smell. That smells like seven layers. That beaver eats Taco Bell....- Claypool, LaLonde & Alexander 1995

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Lifeson-Peart View Post

Neither of the teams knew so I arguably could have said "loudest fart wins" and they'd probably have gone with that.
    I've been covering this off in the PMB, although secretly it's mostly for my benefit so I've said it out loud and it locks in my head, figure it can't hurt them to know in advance, if any one wants to challenge it then I have half a chance to make a call

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

It has been suggested the actual rules were changed due to timings of the day. So this one may not be quite as it all seems. The "normal" rule in the finals of the National Cups is Extra time and then Number of tries if till drawn. My club were involved in one of the finals and were not advised of any change to that.
    Last edited by Marc Wakeham; 29-04-19 at 15:04.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

From a referee point of view I tell both sides to make sure they know as it is their problem not mine. I just referee the game and report the scores. All I'm interested in is whether or not extra time is played.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

That's where I've wanted to be, but so far 3/4 (and I haven't done the 4th yet) have all been none the wiser, probably a reflection of the levels I'm reffing mind.

Thread Information