Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    Hampshire
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default U11 maul

I note the laws say the ball should be made available within 5 seconds of a maul being formed. Can I confirm therefore that this ‘use it’ requirement is in place even if the mail is moving forward? There is no reference in Appendix 5 to forward movement of a maul.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: U11 maul

Yes, and unfortunately it's another one of those NROP variants which is contrary to what a lot of spectators are expecting. Personally I make it a nice long 5 seconds (especially near the try line) to give them a good chance, but you do have to watch for safety if it goes down. Most end up as a big stationary cuddle though!

I'm anticipating this to be frustrating at U12 (age I coach this year) as we still have the 5 second variation but don't have the 2+ ball carrier restriction so we can have 12 on 12 now!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    West Midlands
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: U11 maul

Quote Originally Posted by lawsons View Post
    I note the laws say the ball should be made available within 5 seconds of a maul being formed. Can I confirm therefore that this ‘use it’ requirement is in place even if the mail is moving forward? There is no reference in Appendix 5 to forward movement of a maul.

That is correct within 5 seconds of it being formed. In reality the ball is ripped or passed off before then or maul is stationary anyway.

Thread Information