Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Prefer not to say
    Grade
    Retired
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Incorrectly taken conversion

I put on my (unofficial) assessor's hat on Sunday to go and watch a new referee in an under 18s girls' match and we had one incident I genuinely wasn't sure about.

A very one-sided game and not long into the second half about eight tries had been scored without a single successful conversion so greens (the dominant team) were letting anyone who wanted to try a conversion have a go.

So they gave the ball to a second row who duly tried to punt it through the posts (and missed).

My question is: what should the referee do?

In this case he just went back for the restart (which I thought was the best decision in this case) but what would you do if it were a close game and the kick actually went over? Just disallow it or request it be re-taken? I can't find any guidance in law.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Incorrectly taken conversion

Law 8.8 - The kick is disallowed

However, I would take into account the knowledge etc of the players. Young kids and or some adults learning the game need a bit of coaching so manage it with sympathy and empathy.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

If it's U18 girls at the level I had the other week (ended with a 8 try losing margin, my home club) then I understand the challenge. I had similar but it was on the restart drop kicks. First one from the losing team was correct, second was incorrect (but tried) so it got pinged, after that I just let them go, some where blatant punts, I called play on as long as they went 10, and explained at half time that I wasn't concerned as long as they had a go at the drop kick.

If it were for points though I think I'd have to say no, maybe allow another go, there's a difference between a restart that gives possession away regardless and points on the board.

You do need a lot of empathy in these games, and I often hold a dominant team to a different standard in the second half to make sure both teams get something positive and learn from the game even if the scoreboard doesn't reflect it.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

My feeling is that it's just a unsuccessful conversion and the ball is dead, so restart the game at the centre.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    (South) Yorkshire Referee's Society
    Grade
    Level 7
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Michael Green in The Art of Course Rugby (Google it young 'uns) recommended a scoring system that included 5 points for a punt goal!
    And a crack on the head is what you get for asking... - Morrissey & Marr 1985

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Punted conversion is a missed conversion
    Punted restart or drop out ..well if it's a kid's game and they didn't understand then by all means take it again, but never just play on. How would they learn ?

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Punted conversion is a missed conversion
    Punted restart or drop out ..well if it's a kid's game and they didn't understand then by all means take it again, but never just play on. How would they learn ?
    While that is correct CR, remember that the team kicking off is the one who has just been scored against and if they are not able to drop kick in the game, then you don't really want to be handing possession straight to the opposition instead of some form of credible restart kick.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    LSRFUR
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't agree .
    We are not taking about seven year olds
    What age do drop kicks start nowadays ? U13.

Of course they can find someone in the team to do a dk. Do you think the coach hasnt covered that ?

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cambridge and St Neots
    Grade
    I am a Fan
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Finding enough girls to start a match is challenge enough.
    Generally by U18 you can find one on each side can sort of drop kick.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    I don't agree .
    We are not taking about seven year olds
    What age do drop kicks start nowadays ? U13.

Of course they can find someone in the team to do a dk. Do you think the coach hasnt covered that ?
    Erm, you must ref in a blessed part of the country, up here more than half the squad (12 aside as it happens because couldn't manage 15) have less than 1 years experience playing rugby (so yes, the equivalent of a 7 or 8 year old lad maybe - PS: they can't drop kick either), so literally they don't have someone on the squad who can drop kick. And in an age where actively trying to recruit more players why on earth would an official keep picking fault and punishing them (as they would see it) for something they just can't do? Especially when it has no material affect on the game. They won't come back. By letting them try, and not punishing them if they fail they at least get some practice

Our U13 girls squad has 10 by the way, that's considered pretty good regionally

Thread Information