Thread: Man off Law (again, sorry) in RFU Land

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Man off Law (again, sorry) in RFU Land

So, I thought I understood the man off law (only applies to 23 man squads or when competition rules specify it), if it matters I mostly ref Level 9-12 games, and the social league and today’s county cup regs make no mention of explicitly applying.

However, my assessor today suggested that it would apply (not just in this cup game but in general) , I asked where I could find and read up on this and he mentioned the FR tree, and referred to ‘guidance’ which I’ve never seen, but could be before my time, however it leaves me thoroughly confused. The FR logic tree I’ve found at https://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docu..._4_Neutral.pdf suggests levels 5 and below, so not me again.

So who’s right? I’m happy to be corrected, but could do with a reference to read and understand, and didn’t want to push the point today on what ended up being a decent game and assesment :-/

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Man off Law (again, sorry) in RFU Land

Related, does level 5 and below mean 1-5 or 5-12 ? Might matter here - I suspect my assessor was referring to the local RFU leagues, DN1 etc where I think man off does apply, so he might be half right - however my OCD needs something that makes it obvious!

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    D&WRURS, HRURS & ARURS
    Grade
    Level 8
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Level 10 is 'below' Level 5, so that Logic Tree is applicable, unless over-ruled by delegated competition regulations. I would expect the social league not to enforce it, as the aim is just to play rugby (e.g. there may not be a requirement to actually start with contested scrums. County Cup matches probably require a FR replacement for the first two occasions that it is required, with the sanction being forfeiture of the match; so for the third occasion I would apply the man-off.

Addenda: now looked at your link. There is another document that applies in all games at Level 5 & below - when one front row replacement is required in the squad. Link available in this thread: http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread....-FR-Logic-Tree
    Be reasonable - do it my way.

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I’m a computer programmer by trade so struggle to understand how 9 can be ‘below’ 5!! So that explains half the logic he was referring to

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    I’m a computer programmer by trade so struggle to understand how 9 can be ‘below’ 5!! So that explains half the logic he was referring to
    Very simple 1 is at the top next is 2 and so on downwards. Think of League tables, the winners are place 1 below them lies 2,3,4,5,6 etc.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Flish .. what competition was it ?

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

This was the Durham county cup game referenced in the other thread (no answer was the reply to me asking specifically), the DC website seems lacking in links beyond the cup regs one I shared (which doesn’t mention man off), so I’m assuming there’s something somewhere that covers DC games in general

Soc/Assoc
    Durham
    Grade
    Level 9
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Aha, think I’ve found it, so my assessor was correct, in RFU land we override the laws of the game, see https://www.englandrugby.com/mm/Docu...x2_English.pdf which is linked to from https://www.englandrugby.com/governance/regulations/ unde Ret 13, Adult game, variations to World Rugby laws.

So, I need to read in detail, but my conclusion would be this applies to all RFU (ie all UK Rugby), unless specifically told it doesn’t apply - is that logical? Do other counties and cups have regs that say this doesn’t apply?

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So your assessor didn't tell you that it was up to the players to know the regs and to tell you whether or not it applied?

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Gwent
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Flish View Post
    this applies to all RFU (ie all UK Rugby),
    Ummmm....

Thread Information