Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Law 3....hmmmm...I'll log a protest.

Referees in Wales

Soc/Assoc
    Llanelli District
    Grade
    WRU Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Law 3....hmmmm...I'll log a protest.

Quote Originally Posted by OB.. View Post
    Referees may cover many different competitions, whereas the teams may only have a couple. I think it is the team's responsibility to have a copy of the relevant regulations available.
    Cracking idea. So a Ref can say "I will be following the WR lawbook .... unless you can show me competition regulations which tell me otherwise."

I've asked for Competition Regs before and was just told "They're online". Everything is online - that's part of the problem; you can't see the wood for the trees. If it's so easy, can you find them and e-mail me a link?
    Last edited by Taff; 07-10-18 at 14:10.

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    Some teams play in shared multi sport municipal facikities and can't put up poster etc.
    Then whoever is in charge that day should have a copy themselves.

Alao, as an example , The main competitiin near me is the Middlesex Merit Table. They haven't put their 2018 / 19 regs on n line yet.
    In which case the fault lies with the competition organisers/webmaster/etc.

So no one can really be blamed for not being sure what the regs are
    So the referee must concentrate on applying the law and the clubs can sort out any other problems afterwards. They may need to make ad hoc decisions for the match in progress.

All the local competition regularly tinker with these parts of the regs from season to season, you can't assume last year's regs still apply
    Yes, and it takes time for the clubs to get used to any changes. We have just changed our reporting system and some people are still using the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Cracking idea. So a Ref can say "I will be following the WR lawbook .... unless you can show me competition regulations which tell me otherwise."

I've asked for Competition Regs before and was just told "They're online". Everything is online - that's part of the problem; you can't see the wood for the trees. If it's so easy, can you find them and e-mail me a link?
    We email the regulations to the nominated Point of Contact (from their entry form) and also supply a laminated poster with the main match-day points. We make it clear it is the club's responsibility to know the regulations, not the referee's.

We have a regulation that if one team is short of players, the other can only have a one man advantage. When one team insisted of playing with all 15, the referee allowed it because nobody could show him the regulations.

Clubs try to shovel too much responsibility on to referees.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Resident Club Coach

Soc/Assoc
    N/A
    Grade
    Club Coach
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    If that is true, I think that is a very bad situation. It is forcing coaches to play unqualified players in front row to avoid a forfeit with dire safety risks.
    strikes me you start the game with a "full FR" *cough* and sometime before the first scrum the non real-FR FR players get injured and cant play on....

... though that means those players get jo game so the status quo is actually better really.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Cardiff Society of Welsh Rugby Union Referees
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

And that does happen.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    Sydney North & NSWRRA
    Grade
    Level 1 Ref/Level 2 AR
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by damo View Post
    Sure, I know that.

I dunno about your second bit though. If a team doesn't have the minimum required players then they shouldn't be able to play for competition points. I believe the change was made in 2016 or 2017 or so. I think the more controversial part was saying that if a team has less than 15 they automatically default. While a front row is essential to a game, I don't agree that being a fullback or a flanker down should cost the game.

I must admit, though I actually cannot recall a time when I've turned up and there has been 15 players but not 3 STE's. I think our unions are pretty good at running front row factories every year.
    Some of the smaller clubs here would hardly have a game if we had that 15 player rule. On the other hand when my club has had only 14 we have called uncontested even with a ste front row. Theory being if we are going to play with 14 anyway we may as well get good ball

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

They may need to make ad hoc decisions for the match in progress.
    call me OCD, but that wouldn't be my preferred route that a bit of preparation by the ref may have avoided.

I'll be refereeing in a tournament in Cambodia later this month and, with other referees (the night before and over a few beers), review & confirm all tournament rules. Seems more sensible than rocking up on the day and hoping for the best. Or running around looking for the tournament director 1 minute before kick off to find how subs are going to work, how long is each half, etc.

But I can see the attraction of the adrenelin rush when you hit an "oh, f**k" moment. To each their own.
    Last edited by Dickie E; 07-10-18 at 23:10.
    I, for one, like Roman numerals

Advises in England

Soc/Assoc
    Glos & District
    Grade
    Adviser (grass roots)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie E View Post
    call me OCD, but that wouldn't be my preferred route that a bit of preparation by the ref may have avoided.

I'll be refereeing in a tournament in Cambodia later this month and, with other referees (the night before and over a few beers), review & confirm all tournament rules. Seems more sensible than rocking up on the day and hoping for the best. Or running around looking for the tournament director 1 minute before kick off to find how subs are going to work, how long is each half, etc.

But I can see the attraction of the adrenlin rush when you hit an "oh, f**k" moment. To each their own.
    I'm looking at the longer term - getting clubs to take some responsibility. I am also looking at referees who are not just coping with the occasional non-standard situation. One keen young chap I assessed had done a school match Saturday morning, and was doing a club match that afternoon. The next day he had a Junior match in the morning and a women's game in the afternoon.

YMMV. Autre pays, autre moeurs.
    He trudg’d along unknowing what he sought,
    And whistled as he went, for want of thought.
    The Referee by John Dryden

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I'm looking at the longer term - getting clubs to take some responsibility. I am also looking at referees who are not just coping with the occasional non-standard situation. One keen young chap I assessed had done a school match Saturday morning, and was doing a club match that afternoon. The next day he had a Junior match in the morning and a women's game in the afternoon.

YMMV. Autre pays, autre moeurs.
    Yes, I can see his pickle (figuratively) but, IMO, part of his keenness should include some preparation - especially for schools/juniors where variations may be safety related.

The alternative is asking the coaches' pre-match for variations. If so, what if the coaches don't agree?

Or does he not ask the coaches then wait til they criticise him for failing to apply the variations?

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donk93953 View Post
    USA University level match.....Team Blue does not have sufficiently trained props.
    The props have one week of practice under their belts according to Team Blue coach.
    Coach of Team Blue asks for unopposed scrums under Law 3.
    Team Red claims under Law 3 its a forfeit because Team Blue doesn't have adequately trained players to play prop.
    Team Blue's concern appears to be safety.....Team Red wants to keep their number one standing.
    I as referee, felt safety was the concern and Law 3 (13) covered the issue.
    Hence, uncontested scrums and play on....no ordered forfeiture.
    Team Red's coach say they will play under protest.

Your thoughts?
    Forfeit or not is not your decision - it's the Competition Director. You referee whatever is in front of you, according to the law. You do NOT adjudicate on forfeit or not.

Signed

LRO President.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Referees in Australia

Soc/Assoc
    VRRA
    Grade
    Level 2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSmith View Post
    Forfeit or not is not your decision - it's the Competition Director. You referee whatever is in front of you, according to the law. You do NOT adjudicate on forfeit or not.

Signed

LRO President.
    But is the Competition Director present at the game or contactable? If I was the Red coach I'd want to know pre-game if this was a forfeit or not before I put my players at injury risk. If it is a forfeit, it'd be back on the bus for my boys and a light training session back at our manor.

Thread Information