Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Law 3....hmmmm...I'll log a protest.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Law 3....hmmmm...I'll log a protest.

A referee can avoid making any judgement on eligibility or forfeit.
    But a referee can't avoid making decisions on how many players are allowed on the pitch, or how many subs he will allow.
    So he has to know those parts of the regs .

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossref View Post
    So he has to know those parts of the regs .
    Agree completely...
    My society has a handy reference to all the local ones on our website - https://www.kentrefs.co.uk/rules-and.../#toggle-id-15

...and FWIW... for the games I ref most (Invicta and Kent Rural Leagues), the regs say...

8. It is recommended that the basis for use of Replacements is;8.1. Replacements will be a maximum of three (3)
    8.1.1. Rolling subs may be used. Law 3.14a is amended as follows; there is no limit to the number of substitutions that may be performed from the nominated replacements defined in Rule 8.1 or otherwise agreed in accordance with Rule 8.2.
    8.2. In circumstances where either team or both teams have more than the maximum of three (3) replacements available, and in the spirit of the SNKML to field the available players, the respective captains and the appointed referee may agree to play the match with the one/or both team(s) using more than the usual maximum recommended number of replacements (as stated in Rule 8.1 above).
    This agreement must be secured before the match and reported when confirming the result.
    8.3. If one team has less than 15 players and the opposing team has replacements, the replacements are to be encouraged to play for the opposition.
    8.3.1. No replacements are permitted to take to the field if the opposition has less than 15 players available. This rule is not intended to be applied if the reason for reduced numbers is due to injury or the supplication of red or yellow cards by the referee.
    8.4. Law 3.5 is amended so that the minimum number of nominated front row players is always 3 for SNKML matches. The effect of this change on recording results is as follows
    Where a match starts with both teams having qualified front row, the score will stand and a win claimed, in the usual way, even if the match has to go to uncontested scrums during play due to a lack of a qualified replacement.
    In the event a match has to start with uncontested scrums, due to the absence of a qualified front row in one team, that team cannot go on to claim the league points for a win. If that is the outcome of the match after it is completed, the match will be recorded as having been drawn.
    8.5 In the event of a match being played with uncontested scrums it is not necessary for either team to reduce the number of players on the pitch as a result of law 3 .6 unless as a result of suspension ,temporary suspension.
    Last edited by mcroker; 08-10-18 at 15:10.

Referees in Scotland

Soc/Assoc
    Edinburgh Rugby Referees Society
    Grade
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

In the OP scenario the short of FR team would start with no more than 15 and not have any replacements under general law. If they had a ppool of 23, then I think they should lose a player if they cause U/C scrums, but they would need to have 6 FR to be a full squad of 23, and that is unlikely.

the coaches of the teams ought to know the competition regs, but realise that sometime they "forget". Leagues are not such a problem as cups, unless there are rules (some as described above) about different numbers of players. It is hard to sort that after the event.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    KSRFUR
    Grade
    Level 10
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Although this post has just reminded me that I am officiating a different league this weekend and I should check the regs... thanks OP!

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Northern California, Southern California, East Midlands England
    Grade
    B2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"I'm more of the mindset that if the Conference get its act together, then they have to live with that and not use us a bailout."

You've hit upon the issue...As you are aware, most of the conferences in the USA have no guidelines for uncontested scrums beyond, "Read Law 3".

Interesting tidbit, the coach of Team Red who demanded points towards his first place ranking in the league is also the head of the university division in his conference.

I ordered uncontested scrums (my motto is: safety first) and told him if he wanted to protest, go ahead.
    Team Red won the match against Team Blue (the team requesting uncontested scrums).
    Team Red coach is still protesting to the conference.

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

So, if there are no conference regs, only Law 3 I agree with other here that Team Blue should start with 15 players but are allowed no replacements.

Is that what you did ?
    If you allowed Team Blue to have replacements then the coach of Team Red may have a valid complaint against you

Referees in America
    Rank Bajin!

Soc/Assoc
    Virginia (USA)
    Grade
    B3
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know the points differential, but he may have wanted the points associated with a forfeit and not what he got on the pitch.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    Marcus Aurelius

Man may do as he will; he may not will what he wills
    Arthur Schopenhauer

Tullamore Dew, the Afghan Wigs, and many, many strippers - how to get over your ex. How true.

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    B2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Blue Team 7
    Red Team 32

Rugby Club Member

Soc/Assoc
    Grade
    B2
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Replacements issue was never raised ....
    Team Blue had one sub for a break...Break was injured
    Team Red had requested rolling subs....and they put in well past 8 subs

Referees in England

Soc/Assoc
    --
    Grade
    Grassroots
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Donk93953 View Post
    Replacements issue was never raised ....
    Team Blue had one sub for a break...Break was injured
    Team Red had requested rolling subs....and they put in well past 8 subs
    thing is - you say there are no regulations - but it's that's the case then you can't just request roling subs and have well past eight. That would need to be covered by the regs... right? otherwise Law 3 applies

Thread Information